Great guide

Got a comment to make on this forum or the HaveTheKnowHow.com website? Then please let us know here

Great guide

Post by Guest »

Great guide! Helped so much in the initial setup of my home server. Only a few extra things I'd like to see in your guide. The first being a bit more in depth on the setup of Mediatomb. The second being a more in depth look at LVM or setting up your partitions manually.

Thanks so much for the guide!! Saved me hours of research on google!!
Ian

Re: Great guide

Post by Ian »

Hi, yes my guide on MediaTomb is brief to say the least. I'll look at adding more, especially transcoding.
I'll also look at adding something for LVM
Thanks for the suggestions.
helixhamin

Post by helixhamin »

I will second the Great guide part.
I will also second the more in depth LVM. I have started playing with them, but they are difficult to get a grip on.
LarryJB

Post by LarryJB »

Ian, would you consider adding a guide for setting up Serviio Media server as well? This is an awesome server that works very well and does transcoding. It is the only one I have gotten to work with my LG blu-ray player. It also has built in profiiles for several other devices as well. Maybe a guest writer for the guide.
Just a thought.
Larry Browning
Linux newbie, but having fun and learning!
There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those that don't.
Ian

Post by Ian »

@helixhamin

On my site I've only really included how-to's for stuff I use myself (well, I had to start somewhere ;)). I do intend adding more in the future and LVM is one such topic that I know many people are interested in.

@Larry,

I'd never heard of Serviio Media server until I read your post so I'm probably not the best person to provide a how-to. :D But, if you're saying you would like to write one and for me to host it for you then I'll happily discuss it. The NTV550 Tagging Guide was written by one of the guru's from the netgear forum who is far more knowledgeable on tagging than I am.

Ian.
coupas

Post by coupas »

I just wanted to say thank you for this excellent guide. Especially the VNC section.. I have tried doing it in so many ways, but yours was the first that worked 100%.

I am in your debt.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Glad to hear that coupas, thanks for taking the time to post :thumbup: