Amazing & invaluable resource...

Got a comment to make on this forum or the HaveTheKnowHow.com website? Then please let us know here
percyveere

Amazing & invaluable resource...

Post by percyveere »

I would just like to to take the time to say what a fantastic guide you have created & shared onto the Internet.

I came across your guide whilst idly researching networking with Ubuntu & Media servers, back in June 2011. I ended up having to re-schedule an entire afternoon's worth of workload as I was totally engrossed with your guide to the point of ignoring everything happening at work!!

I currently live & work in Dubai, and have recently moved into a new apartment which has all the wired networking capability built-in throughout my building. In previous dwellings I would've had to have done the wiring installation myself, which for me is a pain and often a big hassle when trying to hide the wires effectively! Where I am now, the wiring is all done with numerous wall ports in every room - perfect!

Your guide has inspired my "winter" project, whereby I aim to build a system along the lines of your guide. I've spent the last two months acquiring bits & pieces of hardware to get me started and I'm just waiting on three 2TB hard drives to be delivered (for a NAS device, and an old desktop machine), then I'll be good for getting started.

So thanks again for such a great guide - I hope to post into the forums with my progress, and I certainly look forward to having a centralised media server for my entertainment, along with an exposure to Ubuntu.

Cheers.

P
Ian

Re: Amazing & invaluable resource...

Post by Ian »

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found the site useful although I'm rather concerned that you were that engrossed in it despite not actually using the guides to build anything! Your job must be very boring :lol:

I wish you the best of luck with your build, hope you find it enjoyable, and also hope you'll discover the detailed instructions on my site allow you to build your server without having to think much. Just copy and paste the commands and everything should work.
If you do find anything confusing or inaccurate please do let me know. I do try and keep the guides updated as and when new versions are released but occasionally I do mess up.

Please report back and let us know how you're getting on.

But for now, GET BACK TO WORK!! ;)

Ian.