Hi Ian. Thank you so much for this site!

Got a comment to make on this forum or the HaveTheKnowHow.com website? Then please let us know here
Beeblebear

Hi Ian. Thank you so much for this site!

Post by Beeblebear »

I would like to say thank you for this great resource. It has really opened my eyes to the true scope of what can be done with a home setup, since I first discovered your site a month or so ago. I only wish that I had more than a few hours a week to get truly stuck in, as I find this stuff to be great fun.

I have been dabbling with Ubuntu Linux every now and then over the course of the last four years and decided to build a HTPC just before Christmas, last year. I've trialled many OS setups, including Win 7, Ubuntu 11.10, Mythbuntu 11.10 and 12.04, multi-boot setups etc. but your method will undoubtedly save me a whole lot of time and effort in doing complete re-installs, meaning that I can actually put my hardware to the use for which It was originally intended.

In order to save myself time during the process, I have been creating command lists with directions, links and reminders and have enough material to build a small website myself. In fact, I got sidetracked at one point in starting to do so, going up a long, blind alley, just before discovering this website and reappraising the whole exercise.

I would like to share any information which may be useful to you or anyone else and also ask for some specific advice, but I will not do so in this post, as I simply intend to say a big

HELLO!

And a massive

THANK YOU!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Ian

Re: Hi Ian. Thank you so much for this site!

Post by Ian »

Hi there and welcome to the forums :thumbup:

It's good to hear from people who have found the site useful. I know I'm biased but I do think it's the best "complete resource" out there. Once I'd started down the road of building my server I struggled to find guides to help me out. There are some great ones out there but they seem to be scattered all over the place.

I certainly look forward to you sharing your experiences. We can all learn something from everyone I think :thumbup:

Ian.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Ian,

Thanks for the hard work you've done putting this site together. I've struggled for a long time - without success - trying to set up a home server. Your efforts have made me revisit it.

I'll have questions I'm sure as I have to set up shares for several people, some who do NOT practice safe computing. So I have to be very careful with the network. Much more like a small business network/server than a home network/server.

I've read a lot of the posts here in the forums and am glad to see the civility all have. Truly a breath of fresh air.

Now off to try setting things up.

Thank You

Dave
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for your kind words :thumbup:

Yeah, the forum members are very civil. No fanboys or smart arses trying to belittle people who don't know as much as them. :crazy:

Ian.