To switch off when power button is pressed

Got any great tips or tricks you're dying to share with the rest of the world? Then please post them here.
They don't have to be specifically related to building a media server but please do try to keep them suitably "geeky".
wyrmwood

To switch off when power button is pressed

Post by wyrmwood »

As I'm running a headless server, I like to be able to shut down my home server by pressing the power button on the box - this is useful if a thunderstorm approaches, or any other reason I may have to want to turn it off.

I'm running Ubuntu 11.1 with xfce desktop and a Dell MicroServer. Your system may have different requirements, but this is what worked for me.

* Navigate to Application->Settings->Settings Manager. Settings and Startup
* Ensure 'log off required' is unticked
* In Settings Manger->Power Manager click the down arrow next to 'When Power Button is pressed' to show 'Shutdown'

I find that this works most of the time, but sometimes doesn't, possibly due to running a backup or downloading an update. Anyone who has a fix to ensure a Shutdown, please reply.
Hardware: HP ProLiant N36L MicroServer AMD 1.3GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, with 2x low power Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB HD in RAID 1 (software raid)

Software: (Australian) PC User UserOS Homeserver 12.03 (Ubuntu Linux 11.10)
DunkB

Re: To switch off when power button is pressed

Post by DunkB »

Cool tip.

I just need to find the equivalent of "Settings Manager. Settings and Startup" and work out why "Power Manager" only gives me the "Ask me" option.
Better still if I can get it to work from the command line as I only run VNC when I really need to.

Cool tip never the less, looks like I will be trawling the knowledge base this weekend.

:ugeek: