Do you have a smartphone?

Here's the perfect place to discuss pretty much anything you like. Obviously the normal forum rules apply: no spam, be nice to people and most important of all, have fun!
Ian

Do you have a smartphone?

Post by Ian »

Hi guys,

I have a theory, albeit based on a sample size of 1 (ie. me) that "geeks" such as me would buy an Android phone rather than buy an iPhone. Is my theory correct or do you have an iPhone, or even a Windows phone? Or don't you have a smartphone at all?

And what were the main drivers behind your decision to buy or not buy a smartphone?

If you have one, could you live without it? I struggled to justify buying mine but now I have it I'm ALWAYS on it. So much so that I don't even get a whole day out of a single charge :oops:

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Re: Do you have a smartphone?

Post by Andy Horn »

LG Optimus Black before that I had a BlackBerry quite simply the best phone for making calls or texting.

But it was time to move and it was a toss up between an iPhone or a 'Droid device and I can say in all honesty that it was simply iTunes that put me off the iPhone as I despise iTunes with a passion same reason I wouldn't buy an iPad.

Although I do like the look and feel of the new Nokia Windoze phone, nice interface and very quick.

As things are I am stuck with my LG for about 14 months, can't complain though I get 900 minutes, 5k texts, unlimited tinternet and unlimited land line calls all for...................£15.62

Yes my phone is smart, just not so sure about the user :crazy:
csenciboy

Post by csenciboy »

Android! HTC Evo3D...probably called something else in the UK. However, my better half works in a big corporate data center, and her whole team has iPhones. No, not company issued. But honestly, I question most of those guys' geek cred.

I got mine when blackberry hit the iceberg, and I couldn't stomach the idea of becoming an iSheep. Nope, couldn't go on without it. Ian, definitely pay for JuiceDefender Plus. It took me from about half a day to a day and a half with heavy use. It can be cumbersome to set up depending on how customized you wanna go, but it's worth the $2.99 I paid.
Dulanic

Post by Dulanic »

Android no doubt. I don't get how people can use such a restricted system like iOS... and then every time you do something they can't do it's Oh well we don't need to do that! OMG drives me mad! I have a SGSII myself, love it.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks very much for the replies guys. It's nice to know I was right all aong :lol:

Andy, your point about iTunes rings true with me. I hate it with a passion too. However, the other day, just for fun, I reset my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S2) back to factory defaults. I was disappointed (although not surprised) that the "backup" I'd taken using Samsung Kies didn't really back up much at all. It took me probably a day or so to get everything back working nicely again. My kids have Apple devices (if you're a kid these days and don't have an Apple product then you're just not cool :roll: ) and iTunes backs their devices up properly. You can reset it to factory, plug it into your computer and restore it to pretty much how it was before you wiped it. Shame Android doesn't offer the same functionality (unless you root it).

On the subject of rooting, anyone done it to their phone? If so, what do you benefit from doing it? I'm too scared to root mine. I worry that it will become a haven for hackers and virus writers to embed their dross deep inside my phone. Ignorance is a wonderful thing :lol:

@csenciboy, thanks very much for the pointer re JuiceDefender. Installing it as we speak :clap:

@Dulanic, lol at this "and then every time you do something they can't do it's Oh well we don't need to do that!" :lol: I have had many of those conversations too. I'd go "Look guys, I can have a widget right on my homescreen that displays breaking news!" They reply, "Well, I can launch this app to do the same" They just don't get it, do they!!
My phone looks NOTHING like it did when I first got it out the box. Running Go Launcher EX and I've customised everything. It's totally personalised. In contrast every iPhone looks the same as any other. Where's the fun in that?! :?

Since I have some kindred spirits here I'll start some more threads :lol:

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Mmm 'Droid is a haven for hackers and virus attackers, only Google could take a very secure O/S and make it insecure :wtf:
(if you're a kid these days and don't have an Apple product then you're just not cool :roll: ) and iTunes backs their devices up properly. You can reset it to factory, plug it into your computer and restore it to pretty much how it was before you wiped it.
That is all well and good but if the computer you sync your iOS device develops an issue and you need to re-install Windows that you are screwed as iTunes wants to wipe your device, but of course there is a saviour in the form of SharePod that lets you back up your iPod/Pad/Phone before iTunes rapes it :wtf:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Didn't know that Andy. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out that app, thank you :thumbup:
DunkB

Post by DunkB »

Hi Ian

For work i use a Blackberry, I have to say the curve I have now is definitely showing it's age. Not sure they are moving with the times like droid and iOS. When I got my first pearl ....some....years ago it was the innovative and unique. Now every smart phone is doing it bigger and better. RIM are in trouble and I can see why, the only reason it isn't worse for them is BlackBerryMessanger rules the playground.

For personal use i have a Samsung Galaxy. Now i'll admit it is a 7" tab not just a "Phone", it is how ever the first thing i reach for if i want to check twitter/facebook/wiki/google/gmail. In fact after I rooted it (piece of cake by the way) and installed a console. I can now manage my media server from it. Though cmd line from a touch screen keyboard can be a bit cumbersome, I can however use it to manage the server from anywhere in the world (maybe)

Driod app of choice.

Most fun Google Sky Map, most useful Google docs.

Oh and Andy, the SIM in my tab.........100 min, 100 text, unlimited data, £5. The customer retention girl at T-Mobile was very helpful when I said it was plugged into a PDA and didn't get used much. :eek: Well it didn't at the time.............
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

Yeah gotta agree with you about RIM. I really do think they took their eye off the ball. They remind me of Sony in many ways. Sony used to be THE television manufacturer. Not anymore.
I would have through it's the big corporates who are keeping RIM alive rather than school kids. It'd be a BIG hassle for the company I work for to move away from them. It doesn't mean it'll never happen.

I keep hemming and hawing about getting a tablet. What I love about my phone is it's portability. I take it everywhere with me. If I was to get a tablet I'd have to get one with a much bigger screen than my phone. But then it'd be a hassle to carry around. Get my dilemma? :think:

Ian.
Kryspy

Post by Kryspy »

Samsung Galaxy Nexus here. I despise the "i" ecosystem; Microsoft's as well although I do have some Windows 7 PC's in the house.

Kryspy