Let's see how off topic.

Here's the perfect place to discuss pretty much anything you like. Obviously the normal forum rules apply: no spam, be nice to people and most important of all, have fun!
Nenene

Let's see how off topic.

Post by Nenene »

So I really switched to Linux back in 2007 and have been using it's various desktops, KDE, Gnome, and now Unity. Conclusion desktops Mac. Windoze, various linux only get in the way of productivity. CLI is fine but it's but it's been since the early 90s since I worked a command line in anything. Then I find Ian's site here and Hmmm!! this looks interesting vis-a-vis his media server project.

Well Ian, I'll give ya points for merit and a few more for decent execution but your docs fall kind of flat. e.g. In LTSP setup you make too many assumptions about the reders knowledge of IP addresses and configuring routers. Not only that I had to read it several times to make sense out of it. It would have also helped if you had included a few lines on the purpose of setting up an LTSP server instead of my having to dig it out.

That said. So far I've got it working except that I don't get the thin client boot screen. If I open a terminal session and login I get... a prompt. If I run a tight VNC I get... the TightVNC window.

Reading through to the end of the section and to the config I find I would wind up with a nice fat Ubuntu on my server while I run it through my client. I don't want that. I would like to run WINE. If it;s going to be thin I would like it thin on both ends. Get the idea. Gonna have to look around to find out about Media Tomb, all it does is want to save the file, not run it. Something wrong in the CFG. I do better with VLC. Media Tomb would be OK if I an find the way to run vids through my browser.

BTW You're from the UK right? Can tell by your English. University of N Wales myself.

Ranger

Enough babbling.

Is it OK if I blatanly advertise something here. A single item, that's all.
Ian

Re: Let's see how off topic.

Post by Ian »

Hi Ranger,

Yup, totally fair comments there, I can't disagree with any of them. :thumbup:

The "proper" LTSP setup is where all devices in your environment, apart from the server, are thin clients. Things get complicated when you try and implement a mixed environment. That is where some of your clients are thin clients and others are full blown desktops, streamers etc. The latter need to act independently of the server. Therefore some "clients" in your environment will be relying on your router to work properly and the thin clients will be relying on your LTSP server.

Further complications arise when you try and implement LTSP using a single network card on the server. The recommendation is to have two network cards; One to serve the LTSP clients and the other to route all internet traffic through to those thin clients.

I do intend to re-visit the how-to pages for LTSP at some point. Probably a good time would be when 12.04LTS is released.

Ian.