Tagging guide added to website

Here's the place for announcements & news
Ian

Tagging guide added to website

Post by Ian »

For all those people wondering how tagging works on the NETGEAR NTV550 I've added a guide which explains it Using NTV550 .TAG files
For information, this guide was put together by one of the Beta Testers for the Neo :)
helixhamin

Re: Tagging guide added to website

Post by helixhamin »

In a different thread, I asked something that may be related to this.
I am trying to set up a full movie experience simular to Boxee, but have had issues trying to install Boxee on my system.

Will these meta-tags work with Boxee in Windows?

Also, is there a media player that will use these tags that I can install in Windows, or would the Windows Media Player access these?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi,

I was following the progress of the Boxee a while back and at the time it pulled content from the web to create the tags and coverart. Maybe that's changed now? If so, then I'd imagine the same software that creates the netgear tag files can also create boxee-compatible tags. The tag files are just "text files" with the information in a particular format. The difficult/clever part is compiling the tag information, dumping the contents into a file is the easy bit.

Ian.
bruuss

Post by bruuss »

Ian, once again thank you for your really helpful guides.

I have some questions to you re how do you cope with file renaming process to feed the file to MCM and how do you organize the whole process for it to happen automatically?

1) To start with, I am using Transmission as torrent client on my Qnap NAS operated remotely with Remote GUI from Win7 and this Transmission client does not allow file or folder renaming - so the file is downloaded the way it has been named by torrent creator. I have seen on this site that you were using Deluge - does this client allow such an option?
2) Let's say, I have a torrent with name 'VeryCoolMovie.1998.rippedbycoolripper.avi' which I download and then, after it has downloaded, I need it to be called correctly for MCM being able to process it - let's say in this case 'The.Truman.Show.1998.avi'.
For now, I haven't come up with a better solution than this for the following two issues that come up right away:
2.1) since I need the file still being seeded and since i cannot change its filename, I am being forced to copy the file to another location, then change the file name manually to correct format for MCM - e.g., 'The.Truman.Show.1998.avi', and then allow MCM to rename it, create the respective folder with meta data and so on (very annoying, would like to shorten it somehow)
2.2) this folder creating, file renaming process and metadata adding in MCM is not done automatically - at least, from what I have found in this software, I didn't see option for it to scan the folder and automatically rename and create all metadata, so I currently do it in three steps (which I would like to avoid somehow): a) opening MCM, b) with data location set, right-clicking on selected files and selecting to refresh meta-data (after which MCM creates folder with the file in it, but for some reason does not process it further), c) right-clicking on selected files again and selecting to refresh meta-data again (then MCM starts processing these new files and fetching meta data for them).

can you, please, advise me on the issues above?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Bruuss, all very good questions, unfortunately I do not know the answer to them, sorry :oops:

The MCM developer is very helpful and there are some very helpful guys on his forum so can I suggest you ask over there?

Sorry I cannot be of any help :cry:

Ian.
bruuss

Post by bruuss »

well, thank you anyway. will continue on their forum :)
but re first phase, so, does that mean that auto file renaming when it is added via torrent client is not possible at all on linux? transmission does not give me that option. do you use any of these torrent clients and do you get such a situation or this is not the case for you?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Doesn't Transmission have an "on torrent completion" function? If so, maybe you could add the rename there? I think auto-renaming would be difficult on a general basis but it should be possible on a per-file basis. I tend to download TV series and create a tag for the whole series, not each episode, so I can't offer any pertinent scripts to help you I'm afraid.

Ian.