Wi-Fi card on server

Need some help choosing hardware? Having trouble getting some hardware working? Just want to talk about hardware?
helixhamin

Wi-Fi card on server

Post by helixhamin »

Ok, first I guess I will give the basic setup information.
My VDSL and router is located in my bedroom, but because of the heat, I do not want to install the server in my bedroom.
I bought a Wi-Fi card for my ubuntu server, but obviously, since ubuntu is not a plug and play OS, I do not see it on my system, or just do not know where to look.

I am hoping to connect the server via Wi-Fi to my router, so I can keep it in the other room.
Hardwiring is impractical because I rent my place, so cannot go drilling holes, and to string a wire to the other room would cause a trip hazard for everyone.

Any advice on how I can set up my Wi-Fi card, or if there is a better solution for me?
Ian

Re: Wi-Fi card on server

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

As a start you could have a look through here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... sSupported. There are some how-to guides at the bottom for many of the supported cards.

Plan B is to use homeplugs. These can offer better throughput than wireless but it all depends on your environment so nothing is guaranteed :roll:

Ian.
helixhamin

Post by helixhamin »

Well, I was able to download the drivers through the manufacturers website, since mine was not on that support forum.
The file I got was EW-7711IN_2010_07_16_RT3062_Linux_STA_v2[1].4.0.0.tar.bz2
I tried reading through the instruction manual, and got a little confused.
I added .rtf extension to the read me file (Because I notice it would not let me upload without the extension), but it should not have an extension, to see if that might help.

I understand you are probably busy, and it has been sort of enjoyable playing with my own home server, even though I have very little experience.
I hope you are able to help. If not, I will understand.
Attachments
README_STA.rtf
(11.48 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

It's not a case of being too busy or not wanting to help, it's more a case of not being able to help :oops:
I've not had need to compile my own drivers and the like but if I was in your shoes I'd google for the solution. Someone out there is bound to have been there before you. Such as here for example. Or here?

Sorry I cannot offer more specific help but I wish you the best of luck. I'll try and help if you get stuck although we'll both be fumbling our way to a solution :crazy:

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Perhaps a wireless bridge may help.

Andy