I can't make my file system, Ubuntu says it is "read-only"?

Need some help choosing hardware? Having trouble getting some hardware working? Just want to talk about hardware?
GoingCrazy

I can't make my file system, Ubuntu says it is "read-only"?

Post by GoingCrazy »

Hi I'm pretty new at this, but love the how-to guide you've put together. Thanks so much.

I'm running Precise Pangolin on a 500GB drive (using only 50GB for the OS) and attempting to set-up the "userData" LVM to utilize the rest of the drive. I can create the new LVM just fine, but when I go to create the file system, I get the following response from Webmin:

"Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0 has been opened read-only.
Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0 has been opened read-only.
Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0 has been opened read-only.
Error: Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition /dev/sr0p1 -- Invalid argument. This means Linux won't know about any changes you made to /dev/sr0p1 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.
Error: Failed to add partition 1 (Invalid argument)"

I tried logging in to Webmin as "root", as well as the username I use with Putty, and I get the same response.

I've also got 4 other drives (3@1TB, 1@2TB) that i've attempted to add to the LVM and I still get the same response. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help!
Eistein said doing the same things and expecting different results is insanity, so why is it I do the same things with technology and get different results . . . I must be insane!
GoingCrazy

Re: I can't make my file system, Ubuntu says it is "read-onl

Post by GoingCrazy »

Well, I found a work-around!

I stole the command string that Webmin was trying to use and getting errors with, and pasted it into Putty. The first try I got an error so I added a "sudo" to the beginning and after typing in my PW, voila... took a few minutes but it configured it!

here is the commanc I used "sudo mkfs -t ext3 -q /dev/Media1-vg/UserData"

It is now mounted!

I'm moving on to partitioning the rest of my 5 TB. WHOO HOO!

Even though I found the answer on my own, I wouldn't have had a clue if it hadn't been for the HTKH site, so that for all great info.

James
Eistein said doing the same things and expecting different results is insanity, so why is it I do the same things with technology and get different results . . . I must be insane!