Help setting everything up

Need some help choosing hardware? Having trouble getting some hardware working? Just want to talk about hardware?
AppleDApp

Help setting everything up

Post by AppleDApp »

These are the components I have:

OS:Windows 7 Professional 64 bits Case: Antec Three Hundred MOBO: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition RAM: Mushkin Silverline 2x4Gb DDR3 HDD: 2 x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB PSU:Thermaltake TRX-650M

I currently have data on both of the drives. I want to setup a server like mentioned. could I leave this server on and stream my media to my Apple TV? I am also in the middle of switching to a full Apple environment. will the server play nice with OSX?
Ian

Re: Help setting everything up

Post by Ian »

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Just to check what you're asking here. Are you saying you're thinking of dropping Windows 7 and going with Ubuntu instead? If so, it should work fine with your AppleTV. For info, your AppleTV will also work equally well with Windows 7. ;)

Ian.
AppleDApp

Post by AppleDApp »

Yes i will probably drop windows 7. my big concern is I was told that the Apple tv could only stream from a computer with iTunes opened. Would I be able to do this from the ubuntu server?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hmm, well you could be right. I don't use the AppleTV but from the googling I did to answer you initially it seems people are accessing their content via SMB. However, Apple like to ensure people do things their way so those people might have had to hack their hardware to get that functionality.

Alternatively, you could install windows as a VM inside Ubuntu and run iTunes that way?

I guess the only way to be sure is to try it. You can always revert back to Windows if you get nowhere with it.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Ian.
AppleDApp

Post by AppleDApp »

Seems I won't be able to build a server using your guide. :(