Hardware upgrading

Need some help choosing hardware? Having trouble getting some hardware working? Just want to talk about hardware?
yoram

Hardware upgrading

Post by yoram »

Hi
After 6 months of doing excellent job as a backup and media server I've started considering
an upgrade of my server's hardware from an Athlon XP 1500 based computer to Phenom II X4 995.
I'm running short of SATA ports, 1GB ethernet, PCIe etc.
I know that an addition of interface cards is possible but I prefer not to go that route on an 8 years old PC
Since it's my first Linux upgrade I have few questions:
1. If just moving the system disk to the new computer, would UBUNTU find it's way to
update everything to the new hardware? (I assume not . . . )
2. I have two 2TB data disks mounted on the system. Is unmounting them from the old system
and remounting to the new one could hard the data stored on them?
That's it for now, appreciate your answers

Yoram
Ian

Re: Hardware upgrading

Post by Ian »

Hi Yoram,

I've never tried moving an OS disk from one machine to another. All I would say is back up in the important stuff and then try it. Have a screen attached to your new machine when you boot it up for the first time. With any luck Ubuntu will sort out what needs doing, if anything. If it doesn't then probably the easiest thing is to reformat and start over. Or, perhaps re-install Ubuntu over the top of the existing one? If I was in your position I'd be tempted to simply reformat and start afresh regardless but try it and see what happens and then take it from there.

Re your data drives, you should just be able to unmount from the old machine and remount on the new one. Your data should be fine.

Good luck :thumbup:

Ian.
yoram

Post by yoram »

Hi Ian
I think I'll leave the current system intact and install the new one on another drive.
This way I'm not risking the current system and have plenty of time "playing" with the new .
Only when I'm confident with the new server, I'll move the data disks to it.

What do you thing of the AMD Phenom II X4 995 as the server's CPU. Have you experience AMD's implementation of Virtualization?

Thanks
Yoram
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Yoram,

That seems very sensible. I'm afraid I've no experience of AMD virtualization. Sorry. Can't see what it would not be up to the job tho.
yoram

Post by yoram »

Hi Ian, thanks again for your support
I'll post on my progress once all the components are on hand (probably a month or two)
This time it will include virtualization since it gives such a wonderful and almost risk free way to test new stuff

Yoram