Home Network set up

Need some help choosing hardware? Having trouble getting some hardware working? Just want to talk about hardware?
TightYorkshireman

Home Network set up

Post by TightYorkshireman »

Hi Please can you offer me advice
After years of slow internet I am looking to upgrade to Plusnet Fibre Broadband who supply the Plusnet Hub One which is a rebranded BT Homehub 5A I think.

I live in a four bed house which is quite long with not a lot of depth the BT main socket comes into the house into one of the bedrooms used as a study. I am deliberating going the whole hog and fitting a home network using Cat5e outdoor cable as I am running the cable along the loft and then down to various rooms externally looking to hide the cable behind down pipes etc. I also have a man shed in the garden and may look to run Outddor Cat5e to the shed.I am Ok at DIY but looking for the best advice re equipment and setup

Is it just a matter of connecting an Ethernet switch to the PlusnetHub ?looking to place the Ethernet Switch in the loft which is well insulated and constant temperature. How many ports should I go for on the switch to future proof etc, can people recommend a suitable switch from research I need a Un managed switch I think?
How many Ethernet sockets should I have in each room (I say this as most info on the web is from 2010 and electronic equipment has moved on) I am looking at streaming video etc
Thank you
Ian

Re: Home Network set up

Post by Ian »

TightYorkshireman wrote:Is it just a matter of connecting an Ethernet switch to the PlusnetHub ?
Hiya and welcome to the forums :thumbup:

The answer to that question is yes. As to the others, there's a similar thread here which you may find useful.

Ian.
TightYorkshireman

Re: Home Network set up

Post by TightYorkshireman »

Thank you Ian the earlier thread was very useful but I have been scuppered for a while as the FTTC cupboard in my village has a Waiting List whatever this means and we do not have Virgin, I will look to continue a home network but will not be that impressive with my current 4MB copper connection Thanks Again