Recommendations for set top/media device

Need some help choosing hardware? Having trouble getting some hardware working? Just want to talk about hardware?
mpompey

Recommendations for set top/media device

Post by mpompey »

What set top/media devices do you guys recommend? I'm looking for something that will stream Netflix as well as handle any video codec I throw at it.

I'm currently using the WDTV LIVE HD (couple of years old) It has trouble handling mkvs & movs. I'm currently running PS3 Media Server/ubuntu 10.04 to serve and transcode on the fly. I'd rather not have to transcode anymore and just have the shares out there for the device to hit.

I'm thinking about the new WD TV Live. What do you guys think?
LarryJB

Re: Recommendations for set top/media device

Post by LarryJB »

I have a boxee box and absolutely love it. It will play just about anything you can throw at it. I had been trying to use an LG Bluray player, but it had trouble with about every file format out there.
However when I add another one, I think I will be looking at one of the small media PCs. They are a bit more expensive, but if you value flexibility and being obsolete resistant, I think these are about the only way to go.

However, with that said, I would be interested in what others would recommend for those of us on a budget. I have a few other TV around the house that I would like to connect to my media network, but have not done so due to cost. What is a good inexpensive streamer that could be used in a kids bedroom TV?
Larry Browning
Linux newbie, but having fun and learning!
There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those that don't.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Re: Recommendations for set top/media device

Post by Andy Horn »

I have a ZyXEL DMA-2501 media player that so far as played everything I've thrown at it, I am also trying out my Raspberry Pi for a media streamer which seems to work well enough and they are quite cheap.

Andy