Sound problems with Precise server

Need some help choosing hardware? Having trouble getting some hardware working? Just want to talk about hardware?
desertranger

Sound problems with Precise server

Post by desertranger »

I'm working in installing Pricise server on an old gaming computer. So far everything works although I was very surprised to see it come up with a Unity GUI and then finding I can run Gnome as well.

While primarily a server that got me to thinking I could use gnome for a desktop as well, primarily for watching movies, listening to music and webcasts. The problem is I can't seem to get the onboard sound card to work. I'm going to try an old sound blaster Audgy 2ZS but they are known to have sound artifact problems. Anybody got a suggestion on how I can get the sound working? If I can get the multimedia working on the desktop with dual mons I can move the server into th meda room since's it's quiet.

The server is an MSI Mboard, 486 dual core proc running at 3ghz, 2gb ram, ATI Rage dual headed video with VGA/DVI and S-Video out.

Moboard has onboard AC-97 audio card and an onboard video card that is currently disabled. Although it would be nice to drive 3 mins with this.

Thanks
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Re: Sound problems with Precise server

Post by Andy Horn »

If you are planning on using your server as a desktop why not install the desktop version of 12.04 as it will likely contain the drivers needed for your audio to work correctly, these features are not included in the server varient as it is designed to run headless, therefore graphics and audio drives are not included in the server kernel.

Hope this helps....

Andy
desertranger

Post by desertranger »

Why can't Linux people just answer the question? I already know that. Anyway if I install a complete precise from the live CD I get all the crap I don't want. Since this here's to build a media server and they include a desktop, which is presumably to attract non CLI people why not have the ability to install the sound drivers?
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Why can't Linux people just answer the question? I already know that. Anyway if I install a complete precise from the live CD I get all the crap I don't want. Since this here's to build a media server and they include a desktop, which is presumably to attract non CLI people why not have the ability to install the sound drivers?
Like I already said it is a server distro, hence sound and video drivers are not needed.

I am no Linux expert, just picking up things as I go along :!: :!: .

AFAIK the only way to get the drivers you need is to compile your own kernel, something I know nothing about.

You could look at a minimum install image and instal whatever packages you need, not an easy task.

Or perhaps you could install the desktop version and then remove stuff you don't need.

Andy
desertranger

Post by desertranger »

Like I already said it is a server distro, hence sound and video drivers are not needed.
Then why answer the question if you don't have an answer?

Anyway I found the answer on my own.
I am no Linux expert, just picking up things as I go along :!: :!: .
Who is? I've been in computers since the 70's there are no experts. Only Chuck Norris and DesertRanger. And Chuck Norris has never met Desert Ranger.
AFAIK the only way to get the drivers you need is to compile your own kernel, something I know nothing about.
You could look at a minimum install image and instal whatever packages you need, not an easy task.
Compiling a kernal is easy enough to learn. Startng with a minimal install is not what I want, starting with a server is. Linux is supposed to be infinitly configurable and it is if you're willing to work at it. I found the answer to my problem and I think Shuttercock or whatever his name is may be on the right track.

Let me ask, you the system owner? There are a few errors and omisions in your build but I got around them. When I'm finished I'll havfe a media server that will not only drive your computers but your TVs and stereos directly as well on an old burer of a game system.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Seeing as you have the answer to your question, why not share this information, so others may benefit from it, after all this is a community forum aimed at helping users with whatever issue's they may be experiencing and sharing any solutions that are posted on this forum.

Due to the nature of this forum I do believe that it is only appropriate that user's show some respect to other members when advice or help is been offered whether helpful or not, been polite cost's nothing.

So I would appreciate it if you could be a little more friendly towards me or any other member of this forum, I do not deserve your sarcastic comments.

Sarcasm is both the fine surgical implement that the wise expertly wield, and the cruel bludgeon that fools use to hide the fact that they don't have a leg to stand on.

I do apologise to the more reputable members of this forum for my comments, but I feel it is only fair to defend myself.

Thank you

Andy
Ian

Post by Ian »

Chill out a bit desertranger. I appreciate it can be frustrating when you get stuck but Andy was only trying to help you. Maybe you were just teasing him but in written form it came across as being rude. :thumbdown:

Anyway, glad you for your problems sorted.

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Thanks Ian, once again I apologise for my comments, I am not the most diplomatic person on the planet as my long suffering wife will vouch for :!:

Andy
desertranger

Post by desertranger »

Ian you own this? There are ommissions Ive found when you updated this to include Precise.

Sure I'll give you the answer. But yu have to go thrugh my rant to get it.

First do not expect me to be tactful. In my line of work PC and tact servce only to get people hurt or worse. I said Zero BS. You ask me a question you get an answer that helps. Since Linuc and especially Ubuntu came to the internet the watch word is have a bucketful of BS. So ask, I'll tell it like it is or I won't answer. While Andy may have tried to be heplpful he should not have answerd at all.

I've asked Q's on all kinds of Lunx forums all over. I find I get BS by the ton, Almost never get an answer. Thay are either l33t sp4k snobs keepping what they think is a trade secret or they are just tossing out a line of BS to make it seem like they know something while knowing nothing and not answering the question.

So here's the analysis and the solution.

The problem is static noise on an SB Audigy 2ZS card. Fist attempt to solve it was to remove it and use the onboard sound card. Didn't work. ALSA (you do know what ALSA is right?) doesn't directly support the AC-97 bridge on an Msi 848P Mobo. A driver specific to the chip set is needed and there isn't one in the ALSA lib.

Static on Creative Slabs boards in not a new issue. It is thought to be either a buss mastering problem on the video bus, the AGP DRAM timing is off or Creative still uses cheap capicators that leak after a few years creating the static noise.
The solution: Dump the Creative Slabs and drop in a Sabrent sound card. $12.00US at Fry's

In general not necessary since with the introductioon of Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS now spports full UPnP. Pnp sucked in Natty. You may need to DL specific drivers for yor video card but so far not. More on that when I put the second monitor on.

Now questions for you guys please.

Define what a server is to you. Servers do not have to run headless, I've used headed servers for years to run windfarms with the server eunning enough of a dos shell to kep diags on the windturbines. The object of a server is to serve. A modern media server not only includes compjuters scatterd around the netwrok but the main media room as well with a direct hardwired video and audio. It's no additional load on the server and extends the definition of server.

@Ian, you shall find while not easy to get along with, I am the guy you want at your side. www.desertbandanna.com Keeping hikers alive for 20 years.

Zero BS