Amp question

Need some help choosing hardware? Having trouble getting some hardware working? Just want to talk about hardware?

Amp question

Post by Guest »

Great article. You mentioned that you already had an amp; is the amp also a receiver?

I am a little confused: is your setup such that your media is stored on one server, which server then pushes data to devices which take data (e.g. cat5) input and give HDMI or A/V output? Do you have one such device for each TV?

Thanks a ton!!
Ian

Re: Amp question

Post by Ian »

Hi,

No, my amp is just an amp.

All my media is stored on the one server. I have “clients” dotted around the house which pull content from the server on demand. So, for music-only rooms the clients are Squeezeboxes. For “TV rooms” the clients are the NETGEAR EVA8000 & EVA9150, Popcorn Hour C-200 & the PS3.
These are connected to the TVs via HDMI, Component or SCART.

The connection between the “clients” and the server is cat5 (or wireless for some music-only rooms). So yes, one client per TV. This is the best way IMHO to get independence in each room. Some people opt for a centrally distributed “video signal”. The downside of this route is the same tv programme/film/whatever would be sent to every room.

Hope this helps!