MakeMKV

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
LarryJB

MakeMKV

Post by LarryJB »

Has anyone used this program? I was just now reading about it. It seems to be just what I am looking for. It says it will convert a DVD to MKV without compression. It is supposed to be free for DVDs but you have to buy it for blu-rays. ($50 I think)
Does anyone have experience with this program?
Larry Browning
Linux newbie, but having fun and learning!
There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those that don't.
helixhamin

Re: MakeMKV

Post by helixhamin »

I found a review for this software.
Please check at the following forums for further information:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-ent ... kemkv.html
LarryJB

Post by LarryJB »

I tried it out this weekend and discovered that my streamer will not play the file. It does everything it says it does but my LG BD570 will not play it. At some point I am going to need to get a new streaming device. But that is not in the near future. My next step will be to get transcoding working in Serviio.
Larry Browning
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Have you thought about XBMC as a media streamer which can be run off any Windows or Linux box and you can run it as a "live" set up.

http://xbmc.org/

XBMC is going to be the core of my HTPC when time and cash allows as it can play pretty much anything all served off my Ubuntu server.

And "There's an app for that" for iOS and Android so your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad or Android device can be used as a remote control :clap: , although you have pay for Apple app-the Android one is free, I did a bit of a test build just to try it out and I could control the XBMC box from my Android phone :thumbup:

Andy
LarryJB

Post by LarryJB »

Andy,
As it turns out I sprung for a Boxee Box about a month or 2 ago. I really like it, I can stream just about anything I throw at it. Plus it has just about every internet app you could ask for (with a few exceptions). It has the ones I am most interested in anyway (Netflix, VUDU, MLB).I believe its software is based on XBMC.
I just got so frustrated with that stupid BluRay player not being able to stream uncompressed video, ant then trying to mess with media servers, so I decided that a proper streamer was going to cost me less than the doctor bill to treat my ulcer.
I did not want to have to deal with yet another full blown computer, especially directly connected to my TV. The Boxee Box sits behind the TV completely out of site and the RF remote works flawlessly. Turn it on and it just works. It took me about 10 minutes from the box to watching movies streamed for my server.
This thread started out by me asking about MakeMKV. The Boxee plays these files great and MakeMkv produces high quality videos very quickly. So I am pretty happy with the combo of MakeMKV and Boxee Box.
I think it all boils down to personal preference, what works for you and how you watch TV.
Larry Browning
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Larry

I see where you are coming from.

My vision for a XBMC HTPC is to build a working set up that I can use as a test bed in the hope of building custom HTPC's with a view to selling these on to potential customers.

I have done quite a bit of research in to XBMC and it seems a great system, also I have been a fan of XBMC since the days XBMC on the original Xbox

Andy