10.04 LTS server - Automatic Updates?

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
pblack00

10.04 LTS server - Automatic Updates?

Post by pblack00 »

So I've been following the guide very closely (excellent resource BTW!!!), during the install it asked if I wanted automatic updates? Is that something that you would recommend?? I said no, as I don't mind doing some updating, but just curious...

pblack00
Ian

Re: 10.04 LTS server - Automatic Updates?

Post by Ian »

Hi pblack00, welcome to the forum and thank you for your kind words.

Well, I also decided against automatic updates on the basis that I would like to review any recommended ones before installing them. The theory being that I could then decline any updates that I didn't like the sound of. To date this has never happened, I've applied every single one religiously, although for some bizarre reason I still feel I'm in control of what happens on my server :roll:

So, I guess all I can say is do whatever you're happy with. On my Windows desktops I also always review patches before they are applied yet I have never declined one.

Ian.
pblack00

Post by pblack00 »

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. So I have a 2nd question. I have 2 other drives that I plan on using in the server for storage (didn't want to confuse myself so left them unplugged with I instaled). What would the procedure be to make sure they mount when the server boots? I know a little Linux, but I'm still pretty new. You guide has been very helpful!

pblack00
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

Are they currently formatted/partitioned? Are you using Webmin to administer your server? If the answer is yes to the above, then in Webmin go into System -> Disk and Network Filesystems and at the top of the screen select the correct Filesystem and click the Add Mount button. See the bottom of this page for more info.

Ian.
pblack00

Post by pblack00 »

They are not partitioned or formatted, so I'm working on that part. What I'm curious about is should I use ext3 or ext4?

pblack00
Ian

Post by Ian »

ext4
pblack00

Post by pblack00 »

OK, so I have my drives mounted, made a user, started making folders and sharing them via Samba, went to my Win 7 machine, can see the folders, but cannot write to them?? I've checked with webmin read/write is enabled I followed the guide...what am I missing?

pblack00
Ian

Post by Ian »

The linux permissions on folders and files take precedence over those set via samba. So, double-check the linux permissions on those folders allow r/w access.

Code: Select all

chmod o+w thefolder
Or

Code: Select all

chmod -R o+w thehigherlevelfolder
to give all folders/files beneath the thehigherlevelfolder write permissions
pblack00

Post by pblack00 »

Thanks for all the help, server is up and running, adding file to it! Thank you so much!

pblack00