Setting up VNC

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Ian

Re: Setting up VNC

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

Sorry for the confusion. I'm referring to this screenshot: http://www.havetheknowhow.com/images/Co ... d_htkh.jpg

You need the bit at the end of the second line which starts "New 'MyMedia......." in my screenshot it says "MyMediaServer:1" so you'd substitute it with whatever yours says

Ian.
maddyn99

Post by maddyn99 »

Ian wrote:Hi there,

Sorry for the confusion. I'm referring to this screenshot: http://www.havetheknowhow.com/images/Co ... d_htkh.jpg

You need the bit at the end of the second line which starts "New 'MyMedia......." in my screenshot it says "MyMediaServer:1" so you'd substitute it with whatever yours says

Ian.
ok. heh not to be dense where does that screen cap come from. I didnt see anything like that? or is that my SSH client?
Ian

Post by Ian »

That's a screenshot of a putty session launched from my desktop. ;)
TrEzNoR

Post by TrEzNoR »

I am currently having problems connecting to my vnc.
I have followed all directions, and when I go to my Win7 tightvnc viewer and enter my IP:1 it asks for password but then says authentication failed, and I know for a fact that I have typed it in perfectly, I am stuck with getting it to work.
Any help is appreciated.
Cquit

Post by Cquit »

Has this issue been resolved? im currently stuck where OP is.

Edit: got it working with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xfce4
and Xstartup

#!/bin/sh
unset SESSION_MANAGER
unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
startxfce4 &
Shag

Post by Shag »

Cquit,
Did you do a fresh install of Ubuntu then xfce4, or did you just install on top of gnome?
Thanks,
Shag

Edit:
I just reinstalled Ubuntu on my 30gig partition of my Hd then xfce4. It works now with with vnc. Look forward to Ian's guide to REINSTALLING UBUNTU SERVER ON YOUR 30GIG PARTITION :clap:
efighter

Post by efighter »

I came upon this thread after having the exact same issue as OP.

Cquit posted info above on using 'xfce4'.

I was able to move beyond the VNC step following his instructions.

First i shut down the virtual desktop:

vncserver -kill :1
I did NOT reinstall Ubuntu on a different partition. On the same server install instance i had been working I issued:

sudo apt-get install xfce4
then I issued the edit command within the original tutorial:

vim .vnc/xstartup
then I commented out the entire current contents of the xstartup file and replaced with what Cquit suggested:

#!/bin/sh
unset SESSION_MANAGER
unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
startxfce4 &
Then i restarted the virtual desktop and resumed the tutorial. I was able to see a desktop following the instruction by logging into VNC.

Thanks Cquit
Shag

Post by Shag »

Hello efighter,
I did the exact same thing Cquit suggested and it also worked for me, Thanks Cquit! The reason I asked if he installed xfce4 on top of Gnome is I didn't want all the bloat of gnome and its dependencies on my ubuntu installation if I wasn't going to be using it. That would be the only reason that I reinstalled ubuntu, to get rid of Gnome.

I also suggested a new guide on Reinstalling Ubuntu to Ian in case someone ever has to reinstall there operating system. When it came to partitioning you have to reuse root, swap and boot. It wasn't very intuitive to me, being a newbie with linux.

Shag
Wimma77

Post by Wimma77 »

Hi, also ran into this problem it seems, just last week.
So is VNC broken, or something to do with gnome?
Does xfce4 work fine?
I installed with some basic gnome gui option, then tried to follow the site instructions (awesome btw, thanks so much!) but rgey screen 3 check boxes only.
Can anyone confirm if there's likely to be a fix for gnome, or if it's safe to just go xfce4 as note3d above?
I'm only starting to setup a new replacement server, so happy to reinstall from scratch if required.
I really would like a gui to help setup some things (like playing around with xen guests).
Cheers.
Shag

Post by Shag »

Hi Wimma77,
Wimma77 wrote:Hi, also ran into this problem it seems, just last week.
So is VNC broken, or something to do with gnome?
Does xfce4 work fine?
I posted earlier in this thread that gnome fallback is noted as needing hardware acceleration.

I've been using xcfe4 since 6-11 and installed panel addons to mimic a toolbar and a few different backgrounds without any problems. Although one of the addons I installed has xfce4 desktop load on sever at startup now. So I,m currently trying to find a solution to prevent xfce4 from loading at server restart.

Edit:
(Found a solution, I posted it in this thread) http://forum.havetheknowhow.com/viewtop ... =12&t=1293

I really like how my vnc works with xfce4 though. I also installed a drop down terminal that is very handy.

Good luck
Shag
Last edited by Shag on July 2nd, 2014, 3:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.