Synaptic under 14.04 Server

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
wsimm

Synaptic under 14.04 Server

Post by wsimm »

Synaptic seems to install OK and it shows up when I access it via the VNC desktop. But when I try to use it, nothing happens and I get a message in the command line terminal window as follows:

==== AUTHENTICATING FOR com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic ===
Authentication is required to run the Synaptic Package Manager
Authenticating as: myusername
Password:

When I enter the password, I get a message saying command not found.

What is going on?
achel4ever

Re: Synaptic under 14.04 Server

Post by achel4ever »

Hi wsimm,

Did you manage to fix this problem?
I'm encountering exactly the same. I can open Synaptic via Terminal with "sudo synaptic", that way it opens and works fine.

My main problem however is that also a lot of other GUI's don't open (Software, System settings, ...) I assume they also would work if using the Terminal with sudo in front, but I don't know the names of the commands, so I would prefer to fix the problem in stead of creating work arounds...

Hope you found a solution and can help me.

Thanks
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Instead of typing "sudo synaptic" try typing "gksudo synaptic". Does that make a difference?

Ian.
achel4ever

Post by achel4ever »

Thanks for your quick reply.

I maybe wasn't very clear in my question. Typing "sudo synaptic" works fine. The problem is, it is not only synaptic that isn't working. eg I also can't open "system settings", "system monitor", "preferences" anything that could need root permissions seems not to open. As said, I could probably also open these using terminal and "sudo", but I don't know the commands.

Anyway, for some reason I yesterday also got Virtual Machine Manager working as remote desktop (before this wasn't working that's why I was trying to use VNC.) So I don't really need vnc working anymore. Would be interesting to know why it doesn't work properly though.

Robin
Shag

Post by Shag »

I was able to install gnome on 14.04 and synaptic, I also have same issue. I think its a permission issue because I cannot open settings or download anything.

Shag

Edit:

Because I cannot get gnome to work in vnc like it were installed on a desktop I went back to using xfce4.
wsimm

Post by wsimm »

Nothing works. In VNC, trying to start the Synaptic Manager gives an error message in the command line as follows:
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
~$ ==== AUTHENTICATING FOR com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic ===
Authentication is required to run the Synaptic Package Manager

It then asks for a password, but when you enter it, it thinks it is a Command and rejects it.

Big Problem - Is everyone seeing this?

BTW, this happened to me some months ago under Release 12, but I don't recall how I solved it.