Postfix & Dovecot setup

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
zulu

Postfix & Dovecot setup

Post by zulu »

Back again with a new problem now :). Been trying to setup an email account using postfix in webmin since last night and I'm stuck half way.

I set the mapping file to /etc/alisases, created new user and created email account and set the map to the new user. Even got a testing domain which I updated MX records for last night and now it's pointing to my home IP.

Problem is when email client connects, it says user name or password invalid. It detects the server ports and configuration and sets smtp to port 25 and pop3 to port 110. What am I missing here?

I'm wondering if I might have created the user name & password for use with the mail account in the wrong section in Webmin?

Edit: Sorted the user problem, apparently the first part of the email has to be the same as the user name. Example: freddie@nightmare.com has to be linked to a user freddie, at least this is the only way it worked for me. If try anything else such as why@freddie.com and assign to user freddie it doesn't work.

Now I'm having another issue, the server won't accept mail nor send mail. Keep getting some error about relaying restrictions and to check recipient!

Update: So I have uninstalled postfix and then followed this https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-14-04, and now my thunderbird client is able to retrieve email but still unable to send them due to relay error message.

Update:
All sorted now, thanks to strike of luck finding few articles after spending over 2 days on it. First installed saslauthd via sudo apt-get install sasl2-bin. Next set Dovecot to offer SASL authentication to Postfix using a socket via apt-get install mail-stack-delivery.

Once mail-stack-delivery installed, it will create a backup of your postfix main.cf file just in case. Finally restart server and you should be able to use mail authentication to connect to email clients.