Unbuntu Server 10.04 editions

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
XIII

Unbuntu Server 10.04 editions

Post by XIII »

Cloud or regular for running VMs?
Ian

Re: Unbuntu Server 10.04 editions

Post by Ian »

Hi there and welcome to the forums.

I'd say regular for running VMs, probably because I've not really looked into cloud-based computing. If you have access to a free cloud service then I'd say go cloud rather than regular for the simple reason that it's free and therefore, potentially, hassle-free. However, the bandwidth available between your client and the cloud is also something that needs to be considered when deciding which one is right for you.

Just my opinion of course ;)

Ian.
XIII

Post by XIII »

When installing there is an option to install ubuntu cloud server, not sure what it is
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ah, I think I get where your initial question was coming from now. That option on the install menu is for running your own private cloud. Never really thought about the pros and cons of having my own cloud, but will now look into it :thumbup:
XIII

Post by XIII »

To the cloud you go!!

Do you know of any advantage to having a private cloud versus a server with VMs? Does it just outsource some processing to other computers? (I just skimmed the article)
fpp

Post by fpp »

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, these are two very different things.

VMs are for running a lot of stuff on a single machine, in several separate OS instances, for security or other reasons. This may or may not make sense for a home server, but it is clearly applicable in this forum's context.

By contrast, a "'Cloud" (in general, but I suppose the Ubuntu variant is no different) is about having several physical machines (actually, lots and lots, and preferably in different locations), spreading services and data over all those instances redundantly, and presenting the result to the user as if it were all in one place. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see how this would be useful in the home.

Maybe in Bill Gate's mansion, but he doesn't use Linux :-)