How to verify my drive is "spinning down"

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Ian

Re: How to verify my drive is "spinning down"

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Well, that's a good question. When I was trying to get to the bottom of my drives not spinning down I removed drive mappings from my desktop since they seemed to be keeping the connection alive (constant hand-shaking perhaps).

However, I did loads of different things to try and cure the problem (although didn't try the fpp cure detailed here) so perhaps they do sleep eventually.

It also may or may not depend on the particular version of Windows you're running, and possibly also whether you have an Explorer window open.

The trouble with trying to get to the bottom of a problem like a drive not spinning down occasionally is you head off down so many dead ends and some tweaks may make little difference.

I guess all I can say is try it and see how you get on. ;)

Ian.
phour19

Post by phour19 »

In-case anyone is following this thread. I just checked my drives, mine are in stand by mode even after firing up Win7.

So mapped network drives on Windows 7 will not keep a drive spinning. :clap:

Tim
Ian

Post by Ian »

Cool, thanks for the info Tim. :thumbup:
fpp

Post by fpp »

I can confirm that. Moreover, in most cases the directory tree on the share seems to stay cached on the client side after the drive spins down, so you can still browse through the folders without waking the drive (unless you actually open a file of course).