About the FlexRAID pages in the Howto...

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
mike

Re: About the FlexRAID pages in the Howto...

Post by mike »

Hi Ian

No need to apologise what so ever - I am extremely grateful for your efforts and willingness to help.

The changes you suggested seem to have worked - I can open the web interface. I've not yet attempted the configuration as I've not yet installed all the drives I wish to include - I'll probably install the drives and configure in a single attempt rather than risk making changes to an existing configuration at a later date.

Something that may be useful to others - when I first tried to open the flexraid web interface, the page opened but appeared stuck in some sort of repeating launch cycle. I usually use chrome as a browser, so opened firefox and tried but had the same thing happen however firefox indicated that I needed to update/install adobe flash. Once flash was installed I got a stable flexraid screen that I can 'interact' with.

Ensuring flash is installed might prevent others from experiencing my problem. Incidently, once flash was installed the web inteface functioned correctly in chrome also.

Thanks again Ian :thumbup:

Mike
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the endless loop thing in your browser. And glad to hear it's working. Please do come back if you hit issues once you try and configure it. :thumbup:

Ian.
petercmx

Post by petercmx »

The HowTo does not present FlexRAID correctly. What is stated will install but it will not run.

The reason is that the version 2.x uses a slightly different directory structure for the installation. The solution is easy - just copy all the files and sub directories from the installation location up to the /var/lib/flexraid directory and all is well.

The screenshot in the howto is indeed what you see but it is not what you should see ... there should be icons on the left of the page for the control panel and to add a new configuration and they will only show if the path is correct.

A really small point but the howto should ideally be updated to show happiness.
Ian

Post by Ian »

petercmx wrote:The reason is that the version 2.x uses a slightly different directory structure for the installation. The solution is easy - just copy all the files and sub directories from the installation location up to the /var/lib/flexraid directory and all is well.
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go through the guide again on a fresh install of Ubuntu and update where necessary. Can you explain this point please? The installation directory should already be /var/lib/flexraid so you should not need to move anything around? :eh:

Ian.
petercmx

Post by petercmx »

yes, the installer puts FlexRaid on a path something similar to the following (I do not have the exact since I deleted after I moved things around)

/var/lib/flexraid/OpenEgg.org/FlexRAID-2.0/
Ian

Post by Ian »

petercmx wrote:yes, the installer puts FlexRaid on a path something similar to the following (I do not have the exact since I deleted after I moved things around)

/var/lib/flexraid/OpenEgg.org/FlexRAID-2.0/
Ah ok. I'm with you know. You obviously missed this in the guide "NOTE: During the installation process you will be asked for an installation directory to use. Please use /var/lib/flexraid which we created above.".

If you missed it then others will too so I'll make it bold and more prominent in the guide. :thumbup:

Thanks.

Ian.
petercmx

Post by petercmx »

hmmm ..... well I think you are probably 100% correct, funny thing is that I do remember reading that line ... but you are more awake than I am :) Thanks for the help.