Upgrade to 14.04

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
yoram

Upgrade to 14.04

Post by yoram »

Hi Ian
I have my current server for more than two years (since the first days of 12.04)
Lately I encounter ssome problems, i.e, PLEX will not play MKVs, synaptic will not open on the GUI, lost the SIMBA links etc.
Since 14.04 LTS is out for more than 6 months now, I thought of upgrading.

Is there anything in particular I need to pay attention to?
I have my media and backup (of windows computers) libraries on a 6TB virtual drive made of 3 smaller physical drives
and I do not want lo loose this setup (and data).

Thanks for your help, Yoram.
Ian

Re: Upgrade to 14.04

Post by Ian »

Hi there Yoram,

OK, 14.04 is not without its problems. VNC doesn't work properly, if at all. To get drives to spin down is a hack. But if you're having problems then possibly an upgrade is a good course of action. That said, I'd consider a rebuild rather than an upgrade. I think upgrades are never clean and you invariably have bits left over which wouldn't be there if you wiped the drive and started over.

The only thing of concern to me right now is your virtual drive. How did you make it?

Ian.
yoram

Re: Upgrade to 14.04

Post by yoram »

Hi
I totally agree with you that a clean install is the best way to go. But what about this LV.
It's built of 3 physical HDs totaling ~7TB and managed by the ubuntu LV Manager.

The good news is that I found something on my current install that explains the problematic behavior.
The root partition was 100% full. A quick search and I found that syslog and kern.log are huge (85GB on a 100GB partition)
I stopped the syslog service and removed these files and their older revisions and the system came back to life.
Now, 4 hours after I have restarted syslog the files are about 8GB each. I need to look into it, maybe open a new thread

I think that the upgrade issue will wait to the next LTS version. Hope that by that time I'll have a course of action for that LV issue.

Good night
Yoram