VNC Power consumption

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.

VNC Power consumption

Post by Guest »

Thank you so much for your site! i was starting to get a little daunted reading up on what I was going to have to do to make ubuntu server do what I wanted to until I found your site.

My question is this:
does having the VNC session constantly running up the wattage used by the system? would it not use less power to start up the vnc session when you needed it (seeing as the server should really not need administration very often)?

Re: VNC Power consumption

Post by Guest »

additionally, do you see any issue with running vista in a virtualbox on the server to use the media center extender functionality of the xbox 360?
Ian

Re: VNC Power consumption

Post by Ian »

Hi,
No, using VNC does not up the wattage at all. I used to have it running all the time but now I'm more comfortable using the command line (and webmin) I rarely use it, except to fiddle with the MythTV settings.

I used to use virtualbox but dropped it in favour of KVM (instructions on my site). It's much more flexible, uses less resources and is a "proper" virtualization technology. I've never tried vista but use it for XP all the time.

Hope this helps.