Partitioning problem

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
sveinage

Partitioning problem

Post by sveinage »

I am setting up an Ubuntu Server. In Webmin I am trying to prepare a logical volume for media files.
I am following the guidelines of this webpage:
http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure ... rives.html

However, when I am trying to create a mount, I get the following error message each time:

Failed to save mount : Mount failed :
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/MediaServer-MediaFiles,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

What am I missing, and how can I fix it?
Ian

Re: Partitioning problem

Post by Ian »

Hi sveinage and welcome to the forums.

How have you formatted the drive? What files system did you use? Please issue the following 2 commands and post the output in your next post please:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab
Have other drives mounted OK or is this first time you're trying to do it?

Thanks,

Ian.
sveinage

Post by sveinage »

Thank you, Ian.
I ran the commands, got nothing. I then went a few steps back and established the logical volume once again in webmin, and then the guidelines got me through the partitioning just fine.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Cool. Thanks for reporting back. :thumbup:
sveinage

Post by sveinage »

A quick follow up question: I am creating users and shared files on the Server. That is fine.
My next step is to create access from various clients to server files where I intent to store audio, photo and video files - are there good guides for connecting clients (windows xp, windows vista, iphone, android phone)?
(when I try to access from the file manager on a pc, I get to a username-passoword box that does not accept when I type in the username and normal password established on the server)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi,

This should be a simple case of going into My Network Places using Windows Explorer and navigating to your server.

It's possible you've missed a step in the configuration. When you create samba shares you also have to create one or more samba users who can access those shares. The user(s) on your Ubuntu box are not automatically able to access samba from "outside" the box. You need to manually add them to samba.

So, in Webmin go into System -> Servers -> Samba Windows File Sharing. Down near the bottom of the screen you should see Convert Unix users to Samba users. Click this and then click the Convert Users button.

Now you should configure their passwords. So, on the Samba Windows File Sharing screen click Edit Samba users and passwords and then click on the user you want to configure. Then check the New password option and enter the required password. Then click Save.

Now re-start Samba via the Samba Windows File Sharing screen. Restart Samba Servers.

Now when you try and access the server using Windows Explorer you need to enter the credentials you've configured above.

Does this help?

Ian.
medevichi

Post by medevichi »

sveinage wrote:I am setting up an Ubuntu Server. In Webmin I am trying to prepare a logical volume for media files.
I am following the guidelines of this webpage:
http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure ... rives.html

However, when I am trying to create a mount, I get the following error message each time:

Failed to save mount : Mount failed :
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/MediaServer-MediaFiles,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

What am I missing, and how can I fix it?

Hello, Im new to linux and I am having the same problem. Im running Ubuntu server 10.04 on a headless server. This is what I get when I ran the commands that Ian asked:

sudo fdisk -l
https://picasaweb.google.com/1025807881 ... uary112012
cat /etc/fstab
https://picasaweb.google.com/1025807881 ... uary112012

Sorry for the pics, I couldnt get screenshot to work from the remote desktop viewer in ubuntu (Im accessing my server from a Ubuntu laptop through remote desktop viewer). Any help is appreciated. Thanks