[SOLVED]new Ubuntu server 14.04 setup network issue

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
vl1969

[SOLVED]new Ubuntu server 14.04 setup network issue

Post by vl1969 »

Ok, even though I got no answer on my other post here, I decided to take the plunge and start setting up my new server.

easy enough, I got the ISO and burn it onto usb stick, rearange my HDDs as I want it, and boot up the machine from usb stick.
run through setup OK. but made a mistake to select install "Virtual Machine Host" as well as SSH on software selection. well all got setup and after reboot I got to the login prompt.
but no network was working.

the server does not have an eth0 or any other interfaces except "lo" and virbr0 which is set to wrong IP "192.168.255.20" instead of "192.168.1.20".
the /etc/networking/interfaces file had nothing defined in it except "lo" interface.
and on boot I get the waiting for network interface message and waiting more 60 sec message.

I found the post on how to delete the virbr0 after install, but that did not change anything.
also adding the eth0 config to interfaces file did nothing as well.

so question is how do I fix this, or should I re run the whole setup again (which is no problem just time) and not select the virtual machine host to be installed at this time?

thanks

OK, I am closing this post as solved.
turns out I had 2 issues some of it was my own doing.
issue #1. my builtin NIC (the one on motherboard) is not compatible with Ubuntu driver that gets installed during initial setup. it activates only after full setup is done and an update is performed (nice, especially if it was the only network card in the system. than how would you do an update?)
since I have an Intel pro dual card I just choose one of the ports as active NIC and was online in minutes. if I had read the messages more carefully the first time I would have seen that network setup had issues with the port and could have spare me some aggravation.

once installed and updated I loaded up the VNC and cloudmin/webmin and could see all 3 ports as available and active (I had plugged the cables in all ports to the switch before hands to see which port will be active)
strange thing is that naming convention is mixed, for MB port it show eth0 but for PCI card it uses pXpY convention.
Last edited by vl1969 on May 14th, 2015, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Re: new Ubuntu server 14.04 setup network issue

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

I've never had that issue before despite selecting Virtual Machine Host plenty of times.

I suspect your issue is related to something else so on that basis I'd reinstall from scratch and not select that option to remove it from the equation.

Ian.
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

thanks Ian, I think I just might do that. however this were a fully functioning server (opensuse 13.1) until last night :-),
and it did find the interfaces during setup, even ask me which one should be used for primary (I have 3 interfaces, a builtin realteck and a dual-port PCI intel pro) so I know the hardware is fully functional.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hmm, well that's relevant. I've zero experience with multiple NICs. You'd think it'd work out of the box, wouldn't you. Maybe google will throw up some answers?
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

well I am googling, but nothing useful so far. also only one nic is currently in use(i.e. connected to the router)
so I don't think it's the issue. if anything, I will remove the PCI one until all is configured.

as a side note, where is the virbr0 configuration defined, do you know?
as it was not in interfaces files.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I've only seen that interface when I'd installed Ubuntu as a virtual machine.
Sorry I can't be of any help but it's out of my league.
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

Yes that is the case, when you setup KVM on ubuntu (which what installing the "Virtual Machine Host " does ) it creates the bridge by default,to be used for vm NAT setup.
I do however have a hunch about what happend though,
I think, and this is just an educated guess so far, that 14.04 server uses the new interface naming convention as in pXpN in place of ethX and that is why my setup did not work properly. I need to adjust the config to use new nic naming. will see tonight :-)
Ian

Post by Ian »

vl1969 wrote:Yes that is the case, when you setup KVM on ubuntu (which what installing the "Virtual Machine Host " does ) it creates the bridge by default,to be used for vm NAT setup.
It does but it calls it br0 doesn't it? I was referring to when you have a host machine and install Ubuntu as a guest it assigns a virbr0.

But I may have all this completely wrong. It's been a while since I've tried it myself :?

Anyway, good luck getting it sorted.
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

no, the "Virtual Machine Host " / KVM install actually creates the virbrX bridge. most people just drop that after install and if needed create the brX bridge. it's just a naming convention though. they all the same thing. just annoying like hell.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I've just looked on my own server and you're right :oops: