Adding a drive problem

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
n2o2diver

Adding a drive problem

Post by n2o2diver »

I have the server software set up and running fine on a 20Gb Master and today added a 320gb Slave. This is on an older P4 1.7Ghz w/ 1Mb RAM.

Here is my problem I have followed the guide steps :

"How to add additional drives

The procedure for adding additional physical drives is quite similar to the above procedure.
When a new drive is added it will have no partitions at all. So let's create one using Webmin once again. Click on Hardware -> Partitions on Local Disks and select the new "Disk name" e.g. SCSI device B. How you actually split your drive up into partitions (or chunks) is up to you. Personally, apart from the System drive, I just use one partition for each drive.

So, click on the Add primary partition button and then leaving all options asis click on the Create button. This will take you back to the previous screen where you can see the partition you've just created."

When I click on create I get this error message

Failed to save partition : parted -s /dev/sdb unit cyl mkpartfs primary ext2 0 39382 failed : WARNING: you are attempting to use parted to operate on (mkpartfs) a file system. parted's file system manipulation code is not as robust as what you'll find in dedicated, file-system-specific packages like e2fsprogs. We recommend you use parted only to manipulate partition tables, whenever possible. Support for performing most operations on most types of file systems will be removed in an upcoming release. Error: /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label

Do I have to use something other than Webmin to partition and format this drive?
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Re: Adding a drive problem

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Sean

It sounds like to me that you are trying to create a partition in the swap area of your boot disk, ext2 is an old Linux format and is usually assigned for the swap file or virtual memory if you prefer.

Are you sure you are trying to create the partition on the correct disk or is the disk already partitioned, if the disk is already partitioned then you need to delete any partitions on it from webmin.

Click into the partition to remove any partitions on the disk.

Webmin>Hardware>Partitions on Local Disks, click into the partition you need to delete and hit the delete button and all should be good, then create the partition as per Ian's guide.

I really hope you can understand what I mean, webmin can be a little daunting at first but once you get used to it, it is actually quite straight forward.

Any probs just ask

Andy
n2o2diver

Post by n2o2diver »

Thanks for trying to help Andy.

I am working on installing a new second drive in my system that I put in today it is labeled SATA device B.
I am following the directions on this page near the bottom "How to add additional drives"
http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure ... rives.html

I have managed to create a partition now but that is as far as I can get. The next steps are to format and mount. This is where my problem is now.

On this screen I click on SATA device B

Which brings me here and I click on Linux underneath Type

Now I am here and click on the Create Filesystem button

Which brings me here and I click on the Create Filesystem button on this page

Then it gives me this screen and the cursor is working for a while and then nothing happens.
I don't think it is formatting the drive.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Sean

I think I see your problem, you have an MSDOS partition:
Capture2.1.jpg
Capture2.1.jpg (98.75 KiB) Viewed 5457 times
So you need to delete this partition, save any data you may have on it:
Capture3.1.jpg
Capture3.1.jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 5457 times
Then follow the guide and you should be good to go.

From the create filesystem dropdown select New Linux (ext4)

Hope this helps....

Andy
n2o2diver

Post by n2o2diver »

Thanks, new drive is running now. I even managed to share it on the network. :)
Dancing a jig.....
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Only too happy to help.

Andy