Backup the Linux OS

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Brian

Backup the Linux OS

Post by Brian »

Hi Guys,

I first wanted to thank you for making such a useful website. I recently built and set up my own Linux home server and couldn't have done it without this site.

Now that it is all up and running how I want it to, I am curious to know what is the best way to back it up. I have two desktops and two laptops all running Widows 7 in my household that I back up by storing hard drive images on my server. Is it possible to make an image of the Linux OS partition and store it on a separate drive in the server or even on one of my Windows computers?

Thanks!
phour19

Re: Backup the Linux OS

Post by phour19 »

Brian wrote:Hi Guys,

I first wanted to thank you for making such a useful website. I recently built and set up my own Linux home server and couldn't have done it without this site.

Now that it is all up and running how I want it to, I am curious to know what is the best way to back it up. I have two desktops and two laptops all running Widows 7 in my household that I back up by storing hard drive images on my server. Is it possible to make an image of the Linux OS partition and store it on a separate drive in the server or even on one of my Windows computers?

Thanks!

Brian,
I do not have it installed on my server but I think that is what flexRAID is for. I think you also need to have 3 hard drive for that to work. :thumbup:

Tim
Ian

Re: Backup the Linux OS

Post by Ian »

Hi,

I don't actually back up my main OS but you could try using something from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

Ian.