Getting server to hibernate

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
mike

Getting server to hibernate

Post by mike »

Hi

My server acts as a media streamer and as such only gets used a handful of times every month; to this end I'd rather not leave it on permanently, but at the same time I also don't want to be bothered with physically turning the thing on and off.

I have wake on lan functioning to turn the server on with my iphone, what I want to do now is set the server up to hiberate when not being used e.g. if idle for 60 minutes i.e. I watch a film then turn off my client media player and leave the server to turn itself off due to no further calls for media.

I have found numerous web posts indicating that it should be simple to set-up the hibernate function. There are plenty of tutorials dealing with command line instructions, but this needs access to a terminal session. There are also posts stating that it's possible via the power management utility within gnome desktop (via VNC), however I only have the option to sleep, not hibernate.

Can anybody advise me how to set up my server to hibernate when not in use?

thanks
Mike :crazy:
Ian

Re: Getting server to hibernate

Post by Ian »

Hi Mike,

A while back I was interested in doing this but gave up when I couldn't find anything suitable. The issue I kept hitting is "what does idle really mean?" :crazy:

You could set up a simple cron job to power the server down at, say, midnight each night. Not ideal but it's a simple thing to implement, especially in Webmin.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful. :oops:

Ian.