Editing a text file

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.

Editing a text file

Post by Guest »

Awesome write up on your server set up. This is probably one of the most comprehensive guides I've seen to setting up a home server. Currently, I'm just using my own little atom-powered server as an NAS, but I'm looking to add some more functionality during the winter break (currently in college). I was originally trying to figure out how to edit a text file remotely on my server and read that I would probably need to install a a GUI. I was googling around for a good guide on how to do this when I stumbled on your site. I like it how you not only describe how to set up the server, but some of the useful stuff you can do with it. Will definitely recommend your site to anyone else I know who decides to set up their own server.
Ian

Re: Editing a text file

Post by Ian »

Thanks for your kind words.

Probably the easiest way to edit a file on your NAS is to copy it over to your workstation, edit it using Notepad and then copy it back. Alternatively you can use something like WinSCP to do it. http://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_editor