Linux and SSDs

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
rragavan

Linux and SSDs

Post by rragavan »

Hi all,

I took a look at a few posts in the forum and it seems at least a few people have used SSDs for their system drive. I am going down that route as well. Is there anything special/different to keep in mind when installing Linux on an SSD (i.e. in terms of configuration options etc.)?
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Re: Linux and SSDs

Post by Andy Horn »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

No nothing special, just treat an SSD like you would a HDD.

Would it be at all possible for you to post the spec's of your build as I am always interested in which hardware people use and I am sure Ian thinks the same.

Andy
DunkB

Post by DunkB »

Hi rragavan

Probably worth having a read of http://forum.havetheknowhow.com/viewtop ... &hilit=SSD

It's not really an issue but worth understanding before you start.

Dunk :)
rragavan

Post by rragavan »

Sorry about the delay in replying. Work was crazy for a while around year-end and then the holidays happened.

Specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB
Power Supply: Seasonic X-650
OS Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120 GB SSD
Storage Drives: Samsung F4 2TB - only 1 for now; will buy more when HDD prices go way down
Optical Drive: LG UH12LS28 BD-ROM Drive
Case: HAF 932 Advanced

Overkill for a server I know, but Black Friday prices this year plus a friend's employee discount allowed me to buy a more expensive system for relatively cheap. I think this might transition to being a full time desktop while I build a lower-powered system for a server. But I have more need for a server now. Speaking of which, if I pull out the OS and storage drives from this case and drop them in a different case, will it still work (or would it just be best to reinstall the OS etc.?)?

On vacation this week. So will have some time to put all this together finally. Will let you know how it goes. I'm sure I'll be back soon with questions on Linux.