NFS problems

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

NFS problems

Post by Andy Horn »

Hey guys

I am having problems with NFS on my server, having followed Ian's guide I now cannot mount an NFS filesystem and when I try to I get the following error message.

Failed to save mount : NFS Error - mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking. mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.

I have had a look online but I cannot get an answer.

Cheers

Andy
Ian

Re: NFS problems

Post by Ian »

Hi Andy,

I've not seen this one before. Has it suddenly stopped working or did it never work?

Do you have a /var/lib/nfs folder? If so, does it have root privileges?

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Ian

NFS was working fine, I could see, access and write to the NFS folders on the VM's I have installed, now I get the error message, proper doing my head in.

If you mean that I have to issue the sudo command to access the directory /var/lib/nfs via vim then no, I can access the folder via gnome virtual desktop, but it might as well wrote in Russian. :!:

I think it is something to do with portmap that is outdated on 10.04, later versions of Ubuntu server uses some other thing to do the NFS stuff.

Andy
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Andy,

Try as I may I've not been able to re-create this on my setup, nor have I been able to find anything useful on google. So, in the time honoured fashion of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut I'd be tempted to uninstall NFS and re-install from scratch. So:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nfs-kernel-server

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nfs-common
And then follow the guide once more.

Sorry I can't offer anything more constructive :cry:

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Ian

Nope that hasn't worked, looks like I will have to reinstall.

I think I may update to a later version of server (only 4 months to wait for 12.04LTS) from what I can gather 10.04 can have issues with portmap for NFS, later versions use some other protocol for NFS that is more reliable-apparently.

Thanks for your help Ian.

Andy