Ubuntu won't connect to the internet

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
n2o2diver

Ubuntu won't connect to the internet

Post by n2o2diver »

I Had my desktop setup as a dual boot system, Ubuntu 11.10 and Windows Vista. All was running well until......

I setup my server. I went into my router (Cisco Linksys E4200) and assigned static IP's to the server(192.168.1.242), My desktop(192.168.1.232), and My GF desktop(192.168.1.222).

Now my desktop when I boot to windows everything is fine. However, when I boot up Ubuntu I can not access the internet. The Network card looks like it is configure correctly it has the Static Ip I assigned it. In Ubuntu I can access the server no problem as well as my GF computer. I can transfer files between them and everything. Ubuntu just will not connect to the Internet, I'm pulling my hair out. Any suggestions???
Ian

Re: Ubuntu won't connect to the internet

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Can I just double-check what is what please. Is your "server" your dual boot desktop or is it a separate machine?

What changes have you made on the server regarding this "fixed ip address"? Please post the contents of your network/interfaces file: sudo cat /etc/network/interfaces.

Please also issue the following command on your server and post the output for that too: ifconfig

Also, just for completeness, please issue the following command from one of your windows machines: ipconfig /all

Thanks,

Ian.
n2o2diver

Post by n2o2diver »

Ian wrote:Hi,

Can I just double-check what is what please. Is your "server" your dual boot desktop or is it a separate machine?

What changes have you made on the server regarding this "fixed ip address"? Please post the contents of your network/interfaces file: sudo cat /etc/network/interfaces.

Please also issue the following command on your server and post the output for that too: ifconfig

Also, just for completeness, please issue the following command from one of your windows machines: ipconfig /all

Thanks,

Ian.

Ian,

Sorry about the confusion.

My Server is a separate machine and is up and running fine.

My desktop is setup as a dual boot system. It was working fine when the router assigned everything IP addresses.

However, while I was setting up the Server I decide to assign fixed IP's to my desktop computers as well as the Server.

Here is how I setup the IP's in the router

When the desktop is booted to windows everything is fine. Here is the results of the ipconfig /all

When I reboot the desktop and start it up running Ubuntu it works fine on the network in my house.
I can transfer files between this desktop and the server, this desktop and my GF computer. I just can not access the internet.
Chrome web browser, the Ubuntu software store etc.

Here is what I have set up in Ubuntu

Here is the results of the Server ifconfig but I'm not sure this what you need because it is not the Machine I'm having problems with.

I wanted to do the ifconfig and sudo cat commands while booted in Ubuntu but I must confess I could not figure out how to get a command line. :?

I just don't understand why when I set it up as a static IP that I lost the Internet but not the network?

Thanks for any help
Sean
Ian

Post by Ian »

n2o2diver wrote:I wanted to do the ifconfig and sudo cat commands while booted in Ubuntu but I must confess I could not figure out how to get a command line.
I just don't understand why when I set it up as a static IP that I lost the Internet but not the network?
Hi Sean,

The "Command Line" is called Terminal under Ubuntu. Try looking under Applications|Accessories.

I see you're running some custom DNS servers: 209.18.47.61 & 209.18.47.62? That might be relevant.

When you're in a Terminal try also pinging google: ping http://www.google.co.uk and also try pinging google by the IP address. For me it is 209.85.229.104. So, ping 209.85.229.104
What do you get back from those two commands?

Other things that are interesting: The Interface on your photo/screenshot is eth1. I would have expected it to be eth0.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hmmm..........I think the issue is you've reserved the same IP address for two different "machines" (1 being when you're in windows and 1 when you're running as Ubuntu).

If you could show us the output from the ifconfig command on your dual boot and also the cat /etc/network/interfaces when running Ubuntu then that should be helpful.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

I would change the IP address of one of the desktops you are dual booting, you can only have 1 IP address per host on a network, your router will not know what is going on as 1 IP addy has been assigned for 2 machines in the routers eyes, even though it is the same hardware, different OS's though.

Hope this helps.....

Andy