File Share issues

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
JMcNeese

File Share issues

Post by JMcNeese »

i'm running windows 7 and i the most recent version of ubuntu server....i was able to mount both my external hard drive and the extra 300gb i had left over after installing to only 20gb of the hard drive in my tower. when i go through the steps to create users and file shares everything pushes through all super fancy like and it works out great......on the external...i can see the file share through my network on my windows 7 laptop and can even transfer files to it with no problems what so ever. however when i attempt to do this from my windows 7 machine to the partitioned port of the internal hard drive on my server i'm told i need permission :/ i've deleted the file share and re-created the file share...i've deleted the new user and chosen to go with the user i created when i installed ubuntu just in case i was screwing something up when i was doing the 'create user' portion of the tutorial...deleting the user and just using my 'family' sn so to speak does the trick for the external hard drive that i've got plugged in but i still get permission errors when i attempt to creat new folders or copy files from my laptop to the server
Ian

Re: File Share issues

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

If I understand your issue correctly it sounds like the folder you're trying to write to on the internal hard drive does not have the necessary permissions. Linux permissions override samba permissions so although samba has permission to write to a folder linux itself is not allowing it.

Try issuing the following command in a Putty session:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod -R 777 folder_you_want_to_write_to
where folder_you_want_to_write_to is the full path of the folder you want to be able to write to. eg. /media/WD20EADS/foldername/

Does that help?

Ian.
JMcNeese

Post by JMcNeese »

Ian wrote:Hi there,

If I understand your issue correctly it sounds like the folder you're trying to write to on the internal hard drive does not have the necessary permissions. Linux permissions override samba permissions so although samba has permission to write to a folder linux itself is not allowing it.

Try issuing the following command in a Putty session:

sudo chmod -R 777 folder_you_want_to_write_to
where folder_you_want_to_write_to is the full path of the folder you want to be able to write to. eg. /media/WD20EADS/foldername/

Does that help?

Ian.

ok so that did the trick and it was exactly what i wanted to do but what exactly did i just do and how can i change it back if ever need be if i'd like to create a file share that can be copied from but not modified....i know i can handle some of that through webmin but if there's an alternate way as well it'd be kinda rad to know, sir

also...once again thanks ;)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi,

What you did was give everyone r/w permissions to that folder. If you've not already done so then have a read of this page. It gives an overview of linux permissions and will hopefully give you some insight.

Ian.
JMcNeese

Post by JMcNeese »

i've currently created a user for my daughter and am attepmting to create a file share for her of all her super squishy awesome kid friendly stuff...i'm attempting;

chmod Millie=r /home/family/Storage/Millie/
but the error message i'm getting is;

chmod: invalid mode: `Millie=r'
Try `chmod --help' for more information
i feel as though i'm misconstruing the given information just a teency bit enough to screw it up
Kryspy

Post by Kryspy »

Hi,

The command you want to execute is:

chmod -R Millie:XXX /home/family/Storage/Millie/

Where XXX is the group that Millie belongs to. FOr me I just use kryspy:kryspy so Millie:Millie would work fine.

Kryspy