LTSP Client Builds

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
fiberglasscivic

LTSP Client Builds

Post by fiberglasscivic »

I'm trying to build LTSP clients and I'm having some issues getting things setup. I'm running an Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit server. I'm trying to make a Linux Mint client and have had no luck with the exception of getting the live version to boot. My biggest problem is that I can customize the interface on the client side and keep the settings after logout or reboot. Is there anyway to make this work. I also need the ability to build multiple client types. Any help would be appreciated.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000
4GB DDR2 800
Radeon HD 3850
DFI LanParty DK 790FXB-M2RSH
SVDesign

Re: LTSP Client Builds

Post by SVDesign »

Thanks again for all your work. The website is extremely helpful.

So I followed "Built the LTSP environment and the client image". I saw the response
info: LTSP client installation completed successfully displayed.
I also rebooted the server, but now I am not sure how to boot the Virutal Machine (Thin Client).

I followed the "VNC Guide" so as you explain I logged out from the system menu, but don't see what you mean by the following instructions.

Log Out from System menu. Did that, but don't see the Thin Client login screen. How do I start the Thin Client?
Ian

Post by Ian »

SVDesign wrote:I also rebooted the server, but now I am not sure how to boot the Virutal Machine (Thin Client).

I followed the "VNC Guide" so as you explain I logged out from the system menu, but don't see what you mean by the following instructions.

Log Out from System menu. Did that, but don't see the Thin Client login screen. How do I start the Thin Client?
Hi there,

Thanks for your kind words about the website. You're into pretty advanced stuff already with LTSP so will soon me telling ME how it all works. :crazy:
You didn't mention what you're using for the thin client? The host machine/server has prepared the thin client "image", it's now waiting for you to hook "another computer", the thin client, onto it. Many computers can be made to act as thin clients. You can change a regular computer into a thin client by changing the BIOS to boot from the network/PXE instead of from the local HDD.

Does the above help? Apologies if you already know all this :oops:

Ian.
SVDesign

Post by SVDesign »

So I have two computers each running Ubuntu 12.04 . I just don't see what needs to be run on the server and what needs to be run on the thin client

What will the GUI look like on the thin client

This website iris a great help. Many thanks
bburg11

Post by bburg11 »

Hi

I have followed the website instructions (on top of being a great website, the explanations are very clear, thank you).

I am at the build the LTSP part, as I have bought a WYSE V90L off ebay (50eur);

I have modified the DHCP.conf file as suggested, but when restarting the DHCP server, nothing happens, DHCP is not installed; as I checked through all the steps (I think) I don't see a point where DHCP server IS installed. At first, I thought it would be a dependency of LTSP-server-standalone, ... but it seems that it is not.

So I have done "sudo apt-get install dhcp3-server", ... but still
when doing "sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart", I still don't get the expected "OK" (which shows that the DHCP.conf file was configured properly).

Can any body help?

Thx

BBURG11

Pentium4 - 2 gigRam - Ubuntu 12.04 32bit Server (with Gnome added as per this website)