MythTV installation

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
freddy_boy

MythTV installation

Post by freddy_boy »

I'm trying to get MythTv up and running, and am running into problems. The tutorial shows two phases - the backend setup and then running the frontend application. I was able to successfully get my tuner card identified, and I believe that I have my channels programmed properly. When finished with the backend setup, you're prompted to run 'mythfilldatabase'. A lot of messages go by quickly, so I can't tell if things were done correctly.

My problem is that when I run the frontend application, I can't see any video (Watch TV). Under the System Status screen, I see the following:

* the last mythfilldatabase update start time, end time (same exact date and time for both)
* the result is blank
* Msg 1: There's no guide data available!
* Msg 2: Have you run mythfilldatabase?
* Msg 3: WARNING: is mythfilldatabase running?

I ran 'mythfilldatabase' from a different emulator and captured the messages (attached). I suspect that it might have something to do with file permissions, but I don't know where to start looking. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Ian

Re: MythTV installation

Post by Ian »

Hi freddy_boy

Nothing seems to be attached to your post. Can you try again please?

Just curious but what "other emulator" did you use to enable you to capture the output?
freddy_boy

Post by freddy_boy »

I attempted to attach the text file, but got an error message that .txt extension is not allowed. I changed it to .log, and again, not allowed. I removed the extension altogether and got the same error message.
freddy_boy

Post by freddy_boy »

Oh yeah, the emulator I used was TeraTerm. It's freeware and you can find it here:
http://ttssh2.sourceforge.jp/
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Please try the attachment again. sorry about this.
freddy_boy

Post by freddy_boy »

I ran the backend again and this time I am getting what appears like normal results for the System Status. I see that the guide data is there with a DataDirect status indicating the subscription expiry date. However my 'Watch TV' still does not work. I just get "Please Wait..." message. The attachment from 'mythfilldatabase' should be attached...
Attachments
mythtv_prob.log
mythfilldatabase log
(27.16 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi,

You seem to be making good progress all by yourself! :clap:

Have a look in the backend and frontend logs for clues as to what might be causing the "please wait….." messages. These logs should be stored in /var/log/mythtv. So, type something like more /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log or cat /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log in a putty session or a Terminal session to see the logs. The backend log should be called mythbackend.log and can be found in the same folder. Please feel free to post them here.
freddy_boy

Post by freddy_boy »

Here are the frontend and backend logs. Appreciate it if you could point to the problem. Thanks.
Attachments
mythfrontend.log
(134.12 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
mythbackend.log
(456.36 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Ian

Post by Ian »

Go into the MythTV front-end and then into Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> General and double-check the Hostname, Database Name, User and Password match the settings in the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file.

Also, make sure in the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file that the bind-address is set to 127.0.0.1

Any help?
freddy_boy

Post by freddy_boy »

Everything looks correct. No problems there.