VNC Tutorial Didn't Work

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
AshScott

VNC Tutorial Didn't Work

Post by AshScott »

Hi there,

I have a dedicated box, running Lucid Lynx 10.04, and i want to connect to it with VNC. I followed the tutorial (http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure ... l-VNC.html) on this site, and it didnt work, all i get on VNC is a grey screen with a "X" for the cursor. I have attached what I can see >:(

Regards, Ash
Attachments
VNC Error
VNC Error
vncerror.JPG (115.89 KiB) Viewed 6598 times
AshScott

Re: VNC Tutorial Didn't Work

Post by AshScott »

Close Topic please, got it fixed.

Basically the problem was, when i un commented those lines in the configuration file, that messed it up. I had to re comment those lines again. I also replaced the last line. Here's the working file:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
# unset SESSION_MANAGER
# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
#Comment out the next 2 lines if you see a grey screen when 
#logging in via VNC
##[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
##xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
gnome-session &
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

You sure that's fixed it? When I change my config file to be like yours I just see a terminal session in the VNC window, not the gnome desktop?

My config file is as per the guide. The first time you run it you have to wait a few seconds (maybe 10) for the grey screen with the funny cursor to resolve properly and the proper desktop will be displayed.

You sure you're not just missing the "sh" in the line which reads "exec sh /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc"

Ian.
AshScott

Post by AshScott »

Yeah, i now have remote access to the server. I copied everything letter for letter (mainly as i copied and pasted :P) but i still had no luck. It could just be something to do with how the OS was installed host side, but at leasts its working. If it wasnt for your tutorial, I wouldnt have even got this far!
Ian

Post by Ian »

So you have full GUI access to gnome using that configure file you posted? If so, that's strange cos it didn't work for me.
AshScott

Post by AshScott »

yeah im on it now, been using it to set up web server, ts3 server, minecraft server, now doing call of duty server :)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Just as a FYI, each time you run the "vncserver -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 24" command it creates a new desktop number, :1, :2, :3 etc. So, when you connect using TightVNC make sure you enter the correct desktop number.

But given you're already up and running I'll shut up :lol:

Ian.
AshScott

Post by AshScott »

haha, well, i have learnt something. It creates a new desktop when i connect with vnc :P