NFS Permission

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
csenciboy

NFS Permission

Post by csenciboy »

So I know it's mentioned in the flexget tutorial that the deluge user needs write permissions in the movedone path folders. I'm sure that user also needs permissions in the 'incomplete' folder.

I am running deluge in a VM and my movedone path lies inside a mounted NFS share. When I try to change the owner or the group permissions for these folders, I am denied...even in root. What am I missing here? How can I give deluge permission to write there?

Thanks in advance.
Ian

Re: NFS Permission

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Double-check that you've not configured the NFS share as read only: http://www.havetheknowhow.com/images/Co ... Server.JPG

Ian.
csenciboy

Post by csenciboy »

When I created my NFS shares, the settings matched your screen. However, looking back at the settings now, the NFS version is set at 3 (or lower). See screenshots attached. I have changed it back to ver 4 and tried saving. It won't save that setting. I also shut down my VM (NFS client) and deleted all my NFS exports and created new ones. The same thing is happening. Could this be the issue? It was never set to Read Only, though.
Attachments
NFS Screenshots.pdf
(364.4 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
csenciboy

Post by csenciboy »

Ok, so NFS permissions pass thru from the server to the client. The client can then place additional permission restrictions on the shares but cannot open up the permissions more than the server allows. Hence, my server's permissions for the folders being shared were RWX-R X-R X, but even with the client set to RW I couldn't get the deluge user to write to the folder. Once I went back to the server and sudo chmod o+w I was able to write.

This seems quite insecure to me, but my server doesn't do anything but torrent and stream media so I guess I'm ok with the risk. If anybody comes up with a more secure solution, please let me know.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

I see the same with NFS share version defaulting to 3 despite me setting it to 4. No idea why.

Got spot with the permissions on the folders themselves. Should've told you to double-check that too. :oops:

In terms of whether it is secure or not, mine is the same. As long as you've configured your router firewall to not allow the outside world full access to your server then you should be fine giving "everyone" r/w access to your folders.

Ian.
WastedJoker

Post by WastedJoker »

Hi,

I am having a similar issue but with Samba - I've created /media/Main/Downloads for torrent downloads. Added users chris and deluge and ticked "Yes" to Writable.

However, adding a torrent result in a "Permission denied" error in deluge. chmod to o+w works as the guy above mentions.

Deluge forums suggest this is address using a new script:

http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/User ... t%20Job%29

but I have no idea how to translate that into the method your website gives.

Just a fyi.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

Assuming the deluge download folder is on the same box as deluge itself then samba will not help you here. Samba is most often used when accessing "remote" folders. For example, you want to be able to copy files from your desktop computer to your server. You would use samba for this.

When you created the folder "mkdir /media/Main/Downloads" then you needed to grant the correct permissions at this level, the server level. Samba is a layer on top of this and can prevent access to the folder when it is accessed via samba but can not grant additional access over and above that granted at the server level. This is where the o+w comes in. It grants "everyone", that is, all known Ubuntu users, write access to this folder.

Does the above help or just confuse matters?

Ian.
Tyralyon

Post by Tyralyon »

Hello Ian!

I've also come across a permission problem. I've followed your guide on installing Deluge and Flexget, but not for Samba (I probably would have, but read another guide first: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/i ... on-ubuntu/).
I've attached my /home/username/ folder as a network drive (Win7) and have a TV Shows and Movies folder there. The problem is that I don't have write permissions to the files/folders that flexget/deluge creates. I have to log in with putty and either change permissions every time, or use sudo to delete. Is there any easy way around this? Perhaps give the samba user the right permissions? Thank you, and thanks for some great and easy to follow guides :)

EDIT: Seems I have the same problem with the files I download through Transmission... Must be something with Samba's permissions?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

Using Putty try changing the folders themselves to global write plus all files within them:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod -R a+w /FolderYouWantToEdit
Does that help?

Ian.
Tyralyon

Post by Tyralyon »

Ok, thank you, will do.

But won't that just be a temporary fix? Will I have rw permission when deluge/transmission creates a new file/folder?
Anyway, will try and see :)