UBUNTU 12.04LTS

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
fpp

Re: UBUNTU 12.04LTS

Post by fpp »

Hi folks,

For the last couple of days, as I log in through ssh/xterm, after the usual welcome and before the prompt, I get a new message :
New release 'precise' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it
I'm wary of following that advice, as I believe this "new release" is 12.04LTS, and if I do it I will have to contend with all the hassles described in the previous pages :-)

Or is this something else again ?...
fpp

Post by fpp »

'scuse me if I bump this one... did I ask while everyone was at the beach, or is the answer maybe already here somewhere ?
(in which case, yell at me :-)

Has anyone upgraded from 10.04LTS to 12.04LTS in this way and survived ? :-)
TIA,
fp
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Sorry mate I missed this one.

I tried updating this way and it bo**ocks'ed everything up and I had to do a clean install, so I upgraded? to 12.04LTS.

Not sure if 12.04LTS is an upgrade or not, it kind of reminds of the Vista incident that happened a few years ago, nasty very nasty.

BTW you missed a good time at the beach :lol:

Andy
fpp

Post by fpp »

Thanks a lot for the confirmation Andy ! I'm not going to touch this one, not with a long pole, and wait for the next LTS after that (at least!).

BTW, I was also at the beach... just earlier :-)

PS: anyone know where those lines in motd come from, and how I can avoid them ?...
PPS: scratch that, found the answer :-)