UBUNTU 12.04LTS

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
DunkB

Re: UBUNTU 12.04LTS

Post by DunkB »

Saw this link in a tweet from Ubuntu Geek

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-instal ... ecise.html

Don't know if it's of any use, unfortunately I'm not in a position to try at the minute.

Dunk :ugeek:
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Thanks for the link DunkB, not sure if it will any use on the server version, maybe the big man himself can shed more light on this, the big man been Ian of course :!:

Andy
Ian

Post by Ian »

Well, given I'm going to be upgrading two of my desktops to 12.04 shortly then that'll certainly come in handy. So, thanks Dunk :clap:

I'm still "fiddling" but am making progress. At the moment my desktop is blue, rather than the previous brown but looking good nevertheless.

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Yeah I got a nice blue desktop a couple of weeks back when I was mucking around with the beta and some RDC stuff, but that was all no icons or menu's.

Andy
Ian

Post by Ian »

Really Andy? And here's me thinking I was making progress :roll:

I've got menus and most stuff works but nautilus crashes upon launch. The vnc log is full of horrible looking stuff too. :crazy:

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

I think there is a possibility that the dev's over at Ubuntu are trying to ditch VNC in favour of RDC on security grounds aimed at companies with servers in different locations so the techs can log in remotely to admin the servers, they are not particularly interested in us who want to store and stream our DVD rip's :!: :!:

WARNING Andy is going off topic here, but W8 server edition will be without a desktop, just like Ubuntu, well at least that is what I've heard.

EVEN MORE OFF TOPIC WARNING, but when I was browsing this forum yesterday I happened to glance at the users online and there was a couple of registered users including me and.......wait for it, none other than Google bot, I have never seen Google bot as guest user anywhere before this incident.

Andy
Last edited by Andy Horn on April 30th, 2012, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I think you're right Andy. I'll play with this for a little while longer and then will probably re-think the strategy if I can't solve the problems. It's a shame cos I quite enjoyed nipping into VNC to have a fiddle around. :evil:
fpp

Post by fpp »

As for me I think I will stress the "L" in "LTS" and milk some more usage from my 10.04, at least until things clear up :-)
DunkB

Post by DunkB »

:lol: FPP I'm with you. I think I will be using the excuse of "It's all packed ready for our house move" for a bit until things have settled down.

Andy what was wrong with XCFE? I've never used it, is it really that much worse than Gnome?

:ugeek:
Ian

Post by Ian »

FPP, I had to laugh when I read your post. Despite me preaching to others that you really shouldn't plunge head first into downloading and installing the latest version of Ubuntu I always end up doing exactly that myself. Maybe I should start listening to my own advice :roll:

Ian.