UBUNTU 12.04LTS

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Ian

Re: UBUNTU 12.04LTS

Post by Ian »

Andy Horn wrote:I happened to glance at the users online and there was a couple of registered users including me and.......wait for it, none other than Google bot, I have never seen Google bot as guest user anywhere before this incident.
Yeah he/she is always visiting. If I pulled together the stats for the most frequent visitor to this forum I reckon he'd be right up there :lol:

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

I had a really nice post all set up and wollop the forum loged me out when I submitted it :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyhow.

@DunkB
Andy what was wrong with XCFE? I've never used it, is it really that much worse than Gnome?

It's that is anything wrong with XCFE, it has more features than Gnome out of the box, although Synaptic Package Manager doesn't work for me, maybe installing SPM before the desktop will do the trick. The desktop is quite nice with a little mouse sitting in the centre, to save confusion the mouse in question is the rodent variety not the type with two clicky buttons :!: :!: , and also features a dock at the bottom of the desktop, in a similar fashion to OSX.

@Ian
Yeah he/she is always visiting. If I pulled together the stats for the most frequent visitor to this forum I reckon he'd be right up there
Next time you see him/her send the bugger over to my site as seems to have vanished from the face of Google :!: :!:, and I have just seen the Google Adsense bot having a look around here.

WTF is going on with the quote/code/list etc tags as when I try to use them they aren't working properly for me.

Andy
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Andy,

I'll have a look at the forum tools to see if I can spot anything. I've been having connectivity issues of my own tonight (blame the rain) so not sure if it's the forum or me/us.

Ian.

ps. I fixed your code links in your previous post incase you think you're going completely mad :crazy:
steve_batten

Post by steve_batten »

I seem to have gotten a VNC session up and running by changing the last line in the.vnc/xstartup file from "x-window-manager &" to "gnome-session" (at least I think this is what has fixed it - have been stuffing around trying a few things)
Unfortunately it gives me Unity (which I hate). Will continue playing and try and restore a gnome-classic or Xfce
Ian

Post by Ian »

Well done Steve for getting so far.

What happens if you change the line you changed to be the following:

Code: Select all

gnome-session --session=gnome-classic &
Does it work better? That's what I'm using and it seems to work ok.

Ian.
Ian

Post by Ian »

OK guys,

If anyone is feeling brave then please feel free to try out the new instructions for running VNC on Precise Pangolin 12.04

Please let me know how you get on.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Ian.
yoram

Post by yoram »

Hi Ian, Guys
It's good.!! :clap: :clap:

I wasn't around for the last few days and I though to give up VNC and continue with the KVM.
Fortunately, I had my server waiting and when logged in I saw your last post.

Great work

Yoram
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Yoram,

Yeah, I've been playing with VNC on 12.04 for the last few days and obviously the developers are tweaking things each day as it now seems to work better than it did. Still not quite as it was "in the old days" but better than it was. :thumbup:

Ian.
DunkB

Post by DunkB »

Hi all

Don't know if this is of any help, I haven't installed 12.04 yet so I may be barking up the wrong tree.
It's from Ubuntu Geek again.
Ubuntu Geek ‏ @ubuntugeek

How to display Computer,Home,Network,Trash and Mounted volumes icons on ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) des.. http://bit.ly/JNwVQU
Hope it proves to be useful.

Dunk :ugeek:
ricckli

Post by ricckli »

Hello guys,

first: thanks a lot for this great tutorials and the effort.
I was following your steps because I am running on a virtual server with Ubuntu 12.04..
nevertheless I am not able to stop gnome from starting after booting the server.
additionally I am already logged in when accessing the server using VNC...
do you know a good step by step guide to solve these problems?

every help will be appreciated. Thank you so much.

All the best frome Germany,

riccardo