UBUNTU 12.04LTS

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
yoram

UBUNTU 12.04LTS

Post by yoram »

Hi
Finally I have collected enough parts for a new server. It has an Intel E6750 (core 2 duo) and a gigabit ethernet. :thumbup:
My plan is to install the OS and than move the data disks from the old server.

My old server runs version10.10. This time I decided for the latest LTS version which I found to be 12.04 (in second beta)
It's the second beta and I decided to go with it.
I found that VIM is included in the release and OpenSSH is selectable during the initial install

problem # 1: :thumbdown:
after following all the steps in installing VNC server, I found that even though I did the trick to
avoid the gray X window, I got the gray X-terminal window when connecting to VNC. :-(
I also found that after installing the gnome-core and restarting the server, I got the graphical user interface on the server's monitor as well (I made all the installations from the putty window)

Any idea how to kill the GUI on the main terminal and have it on the client VNC window ?

Thanks
Yoram
DunkB

Re: UBUNTU 12.04LTS

Post by DunkB »

So has anyone else taken the plunge and installed 12.04 LTS?
Ian

Post by Ian »

I am installing it as we speak as it's now out of beta :crazy:

I'm going through my guides and will update as required. I'm about to install VNC :thumbup:

Ian.
fpp

Post by fpp »

Are you doing a fresh install or an upgrade ? I saw that in the past LTS versions could be updated from previous to next with good results, does this still hold true ?...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi fpp,

At the moment I'm just using a VM. I plan to wipe the OS drive and start over when I do it for real but that's just my personal preference. I've not read any horror stories of people upgrading their existing installs so I guess the choice is yours.

Ian.
DunkB

Post by DunkB »

I'm downloading the image at the minute.
I have to admit my plan was to wipe and install from fresh. I'm still to much of a newbie to risk something getting taffeled during an upgrade. Much easier to start with a clean slate (assuming everything works out the tin).

Yorman did you sort out your problem with VNC?

Dunk :ugeek:
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Got 12.04 LTS, installed in a VM and after following this guide:

[url]http://skerit.com/en/computer/english-v ... -card/[url]

I have got it running on VNC, although I am not keen on the XFCE desktop, I am sure the scripts could be tweaked to allow Gnome to be used as the desktop, over to Ian.

Andy
yoram

Post by yoram »

thanks
Found that the 12.04LTS is not in beta any more so I've started all over again.
Not done the VNC yet.

The other problem I had with the BETA was that the GUI was loaded on the server at startup

I'll keep posting as I proceed

Yoram
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Yoram,

I'm using the non-beta version of 12.04 and the desktop is still loaded on boot. Furthermore I receive a "Failed to load session ubuntu" error when I try and log in from that screen. Not yet found a solution to it. But I will :lol:

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

I do not have a desktop on boot up, just the standard CLI login prompt.

Any ideas on how to get the Gnome desktop working on VNC, instead of yukky XCFE?

In the mean time I am gonna roll my sleeves up and have a look see what I can do.

Andy