removing mount points

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
yoram

removing mount points

Post by yoram »

I have this issue with mount points for some time. Its annoying and requires user input on every startup of the system.
On my 10.10 server I have some "leftover" mount points definitions that were originally mistaken, or, does not exist anymore.
On startup, I have to "S"(skip) them in order to complete the start up of the server.

I can see all these mounts in webmin (under filesystem) but can't access or remove them from webmin. Partly because they are mot mounted

Is there a way to fiddle with the mount list and remove all these not mounted points?

Thanks, Yoram
Ian

Re: removing mount points

Post by Ian »

Hi Yoram.

Have you tried removing the entries from fstab:

Code: Select all

sudo vim /etc/fstab
Ian.
yoram

Post by yoram »

Thanks Ian, Works perfect

yoram

btw, any progress on the vnc for 12.04
Ian

Post by Ian »

Glad it worked for you. :thumbup:

Yeah, I'm making some progress on the vnc issue. Just trying out a few things. Only trouble is it is taking ~90 minutes to download the gnome components each time I rebuild a VM (normally only takes around 5 minutes). I'm guessing the whole world is hitting the Ubuntu servers right now so there is a lot of contention. :thumbdown:

Ian.
yoram

Post by yoram »

right.
I did it 3 times already. The GNOME-CORE is about 700MB .
Do you think that the problem relies in the server itself or in the GNOME (new version 3)? Could the older version of gnome solve this issue?

Regarding VM, my new server has the Intel E6750 that supports Intel's Virtualization. What is your recommendation for virtualization? Is it an app you install on the server or some kind of a basic infrastructure you install before the first OS?

Thanks, Yoram
Ian

Post by Ian »

yoram wrote:Do you think that the problem relies in the server itself or in the GNOME (new version 3)? Could the older version of gnome solve this issue?
I think the problem lies in the fact that the newer versions of Ubuntu use Unity rather than Gnome as the desktop. Clearly, installing the gnome components isn't enough to change things back to how they were on earlier versions. I should have it cracked tonight, assuming the Ubuntu servers are not still bogged down.
yoram wrote:Regarding VM, my new server has the Intel E6750 that supports Intel's Virtualization. What is your recommendation for virtualization? Is it an app you install on the server or some kind of a basic infrastructure you install before the first OS?
I'm happy with KVM so I'd recommend using that. Although it is an "app" you install on the server it actually uses the hardware virtualization built into the chip. ie. you can't use KVM unless your hardware supports it.
What plans do you have for virtualisation? Just being nosey. :geek:

Ian.
yoram

Post by yoram »

Well, my main objective in virtualisation is to remove the extra stress of training from the media server. Currently running 10.10 on an old machine, I suffered
several newbie issues like the mount points issue that initiated this thread. I would like changes to be baked befor implementing them on the actual server.
In addition, trying other OS like the ubuntu desktop is always welcome and doing it without building a new machine is super.

I'm still not sure that I fully understand how sharing the system resources e.g. graphics, NIC, add in cards, disk storage etc. works .
For example, if I put two windows XP OSs on the VM, how could 2 different users have access to these two OSs? Via a client running VNC on ubuntu desktop?

I cant release all of my windows machines yet since there is a heavy and constant demand for "gaming horsepower" at home

Yoram
yoram

Post by yoram »

Hi Ian
Since I wiggled with the mounts it seems that I damaged something.
When entering webmin, I have no the main screen only two bars (VS three) for real memory and disk space. The third (i think it was virtual mem) in missing.
And about since that time I can only write to the SAMBA shares. All reads are gone. I could see the directory structure but file reads are slow to non-existing

this is the fstab file after editing:

yoram@CAROLINE:~$ sudo vim /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/dev/mapper/CAROLINE-root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=a9eeca00-0045-4627-a0a3-6fba4860aa65 /boot ext2 defaults 0 2
UUID=4b7f015a-fb66-40d4-a1b1-75307ef7573a /mnt/storage ext3 defaults 0 0
/mnt/storage /export/storage bind bind 0
/mnt/backup/libs/Movies /Movies bind bind 0
/mnt/storage/libs /libs bind bind 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup ext4 defaults 0 0
~
~
~
Yoram
yoram

Post by yoram »

SOLVED

It was a switch problem.
Bypassed the problematic switch and everything is fine now.

Yoram
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Yoram,

Thanks for the update. I've been puzzling over your issue for a while now. Would have never guessed it was a problem with a network switch :crazy:

Glad you got it sorted :thumbup:

Ian.