MusicIP

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
A70sDinosaur

MusicIP

Post by A70sDinosaur »

I got MusicIP working headless on Ubuntu 12.04 with the excellent instructions on this web site, but I wondered if it is possible to use the MusicIP gui also somehow. The reason I ask is I have not found a way of fingerprinting and archiving my files with it running headless. I am using MusicIP with LogitechMediaServer 7.7.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit

Thanks
Ian

Re: MusicIP

Post by Ian »

Hi there A70sDinosaur and welcome to the forums :thumbup:

The only GUI I've ever used is the one on port 9000 (http://MyMediaServer:9000). There was a post about Spicefly a while back. I've not tried it myself but it may be worth a few minutes of your time to have a look at it to see whether it suits your requirements?

Ian.
A70sDinosaur

Post by A70sDinosaur »

I had the MusicIP gui working on my last build Ubuntu 10.10 . I will have a look in my files and see if I left any instructions on this. It is basically the same gui that MusicIP uses with Windows but some features do not function. However one feature does work;it is possible to set archiving of files with fingerprints so if one were to transfer files to a new computer it isn't necssary to start the validation process over again. If I figure it out I will post the steps I took here
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yeah, please do because I didn't realise you could do that :thumbup:

Ian.
A70sDinosaur

Post by A70sDinosaur »

Ian

I started up my Ubuntu 10.10 machine and was able to open the MusicIP gui but I do not know how to make it work with 12.04.
Here are the steps that worked in 10.10 64 bit:

"The answer was in setting JAVA_HOME by using the terminal as follows:

JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03"

I then added it to the top of the /etc/environment file for a permafix.

I had previously been setting it to "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/bin" (the path to the executable), which threw absolutely no errors when I would try to run the software, it just silently failed.

The command to get MusicIP Mixer running was simply entering
./MusicMagicMixer
into terminal while in the directory of the software(MusicIP directory)."

It would be great if this or an updated version of this method could be used in 12.04. I checked synaptic and java-6-sun-1.6.0.03 is not in the repositories and is in fact quite old. While the gui does not entirely function like the Windows version it does allow archiving of a small file on each song which gives it a unique MusicIP identifier. With this in place it was not necessary to recan my library of 20,000 songs when I moved my library from my Ubuntu 10.10 machine to my new 12.04 machine.
While I did try to use the instructions listed here on 12.04 it didn't work but perhaps it could somehow work with a more recent version of Java.
A70sDinosaur

Post by A70sDinosaur »

The trick seems to set JAVA_HOME. I tried with java 6 installed on my new computer (see screenshots) but no luck. Any chance you might give it a try?
Attachments
Terminal.png
Terminal.png (119.39 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
A70sDinosaur

Post by A70sDinosaur »

OK, If you are still interested I got this to work finally.
As I said the trick is to set JAVA_HOME, however it does not seem to work with the Java installed on Ubuntu 12.04. Now I don't know if this is kosher but what did was I added a PPA (see http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ia32-sun-java6-bin) that allows me to install ia32-sun-java6-bin through synaptic, that is I added deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main multiverse by opening Synaptic Package Manager clicking on Settings then Repositories click on tab for Other Software click on Add and entered the PPA (deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main multiverse). I then exited the window and in synaptic did a search for ia32-sun-java6-bin, marked it for installation, clicked apply. Then to be sure there would be not further downloads I removed the PPA.
Then I opened the terminal, and cd to my MusicIP directory and entered the command JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03"
I then modified the etc/environment file by adding JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03" to the top of the file and saving (you need root priviledges)
To open the gui for MusicIP you need to open the Terminal and change the directory to the one where MusicIP is (ie use cd /home/username/MusicIP if it is stored in the Home directory) then issue the command JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun ./MusicMagicMixer.
Now for this to work and be able to use fingerprinting you must enable Archiving in the gui (click on file/preferences/general). Now I noticed that archiving unticked after I closed it last time I am not sure if it has to be checked each time you do the archiving.
Set up is a hassle but if you have a lot of Music on your hard drive archiving and thereby fingerprinting the songs will ensure you don't have to rescan everthing everytime you upgrade or move a directory.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi A70sDinosaur,

Thanks for sharing. I'll give that a go when I get the chance :thumbup:

Thank you.

Ian.
A70sDinosaur

Post by A70sDinosaur »

Another way that is much easier is to install MusicIP through WINE. MusicIp actually works better this way and allows archiving of whole directories at a time; with the Linux install I find I can only install by the bottom most folder in a directory (in my case this is by album, but since I have already scanned my entire library and archived it I am only adding a few albums at a time now anyway). However that being said I have not been able to install MusicIP through WINE on 12.04 even though it worked fine in Maverick. I am not sure what the source of my difficulty is but WINE does not seem to work properly at this point on my computer.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I guess it's possible WINE and or 12.04 are still a bit buggy.

I was reading that users on 10.04 will not be "invited" to upgrade to 12.04 until July. That to me says they still have plenty of work to do on 12.04.

Ian.