Tight VNC Problem

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Abysmal Craig

Tight VNC Problem

Post by Abysmal Craig »

Hi there, I am currently new to this ubuntu so please bear with me.

I followed your tut on creating a media server and everything was going fine until i reached the VNC part.

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and when I run tight VNC Viewer and try to connect to my server I just get Connection Failed!

My server name is - SKYNETSERVER and so Im typing in SKYNETSERVER:1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

**EDIT - I also tried with the IP address of the server and getting the same response.
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65 Intel Motherboard
Processor: OVERCLOCKED Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Hard Drives: Intel SSD 60GB for O/S 2x 3.5TB WD for Data
steve_batten

Re: Tight VNC Problem

Post by steve_batten »

What messages do you get on your linux box when you initiate the virtual session using "vncserver" - my assumption is you have actually started a session on the linux machine before you try connecting remotely.
Abysmal Craig

Post by Abysmal Craig »

I figured out what was the problem was.

Apparently Ubuntu can only see my NIC some of time and when it does it can only connect outside my network whenever it feels like it.

Im not sure what is causing the problem, as I am not changing any settings within my server itself, it just seems to lose connectivity sometimes after a reboot and sometimes it doesn't.

This has become a massive pain and I am just considering using windows home server which I rather I didn't to be perfectly honest.

****EDIT - I am now experience a problem where the server will just randomly drop off the network without warning and without me doing anything to provoke this. I lose connection through putty and tight VNC randomly, this has happened since I switched the server to a static IP address and I cant find the code to return it to accept IP addresses off my router/DHCP server :(

Any help would stop me pulling my hair out at the moment
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Craig.

Just a thought, have you rebooted your router since changing your server ip addy?, sometimes a router may allocate that particular ip to something else.

In my experience it alway best to have a static ip for server as you always know where it is on a network.

WHS is a total garbage compared to a Ubuntu server, nothing like as flexible, also you will have all the issues associated with Windows such as having to reboot for one tiny updated, don't get me started on all the bloatware you get by default with Windows and you will need to install Anti-Virus. Keep on plugging away with Linux and you won't regret it, it took me about 6 months to get mine sorted.

Thinking about it my server when I first built randomly disappeared off my network, then it settled it's self down.

Andy
Abysmal Craig

Post by Abysmal Craig »

Hi Andy

yeah I have been rebooting my router constantly trying to get it to assign it an IP address. I rebooted everything at one point and this did seem to remedy the situation so i thought it would be a good idea to go into my router and tell it to pin an IP address to the mac address of the NIC on the server. I rebooted the server and the router and surprise surprise no internet connectivity again.

I tool a couple of screenshots of 'ifconfig' and the bottom lines of 'sudo apt-get update' to see if anyone else could see anything wrong that I couldnt.

On this one above i thought it was interesting that it was coming up 'No address associated with hostname' I was wondering if that meant anything at all. But apart from that it almost looks like the server cant see the DNS address for some reason, well thats my guess anyways.

I really am at a loss because I am no where near finished configuring the server and this is just holding me back.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Craig.

I would tend to agree with you, it seem's like a DNS issue.

Have look at this page:

[url]http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/c ... ress//[url]

It tells you how to set up DNS, if you haven't already!

Andy
Abysmal Craig

Post by Abysmal Craig »

Hi Andy

Thanks for that, It was my DNS after all now the problem has been resolved.

Craig
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

I am only to happy to help with my limited Linux foo :!: :!: :!:

Another step further away from WHS :clap:

@ Ian, the code/url/img thingy is fudgered again :crazy:

Andy
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Andy,

How are you posting the links, using one of the buttons in the editor or typing the codes in manually?

I must say I hate the editor on this forum. It's nowhere near as nice as the one that comes on vBulletin. I'll try and see if I can improve it.

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Logged me out again when I went to post.

Right Andy count to 10 and start again.

I click the URL button and paste the link in between [url][url].

I must admit that I would rather see a "click here" link as opposed to 1/2 a mile of url. The forum would look a lot tidier this way.

Andy