Slight Problem with Networking

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Ian

Re: Slight Problem with Networking

Post by Ian »

Yeah the floods really caused the prices of all such kit to get ramped up. I've just bought myself a 640GB laptop drive and it was twice the price now as it was a year ago.

I've never heard of drives as big as the ones you're talking about. I did read last year that 4TB drives were just around the corner. I think I must have been asleep for the past year and missed all the excitement :lol:

Ian.
Abysmal Craig

Post by Abysmal Craig »

Ill have a dig around because I have lost touch myself over the past couple of months and ill post what I can find out on the hardware forum for everyone to read instead of it sitting in here. :)
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65 Intel Motherboard
Processor: OVERCLOCKED Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Hard Drives: Intel SSD 60GB for O/S 2x 3.5TB WD for Data
panner

Post by panner »

Ian wrote:Hi there,

You're not the first person to hit either of these problems so clearly my guide is not up to par. :oops:

I suspect this new issue is down to you not giving write permissions in Ubuntu for the relevant folder(s). So, assuming you have given write permission in Samba (when you set the samba share up in webmin) then you need to go into putty and tell Ubuntu you want people to be able to write to that folder. The easiest way to do this is to give "everyone" permission:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod -R o+w /media/Yourfolder
Then try and write to it again.

Ian.
Yes, have had the exact same problem, with setting up my Server with Ubuntu 12.4. Your solution worked for me also, which means I'm rocking and rolling again after spending a day trying to resolve this issue. Thanks Ian :clap:

Geoff
Henry Manila

Post by Henry Manila »

Hello,

Hope you guys can help...it's been days that I've been struggling to fix this issue. Even the instructions for : sudo chmod -R o+w /media/Yourfolder doesn't work for me. (I think I may need help finding the folder as it returns an error that it can't find my folder)

I have both Ubuntu 10.04 (desktop) and a Win 7 connected to this server.

At this point, I can only "upload" files to the folder I had already set up by using webmin, under the "Others" dropdown in the Upload and downloads option.

My main issue is that no machine in the system can drag folders to the shared folders - made using putty and administered by webmin.

Please let me know if you need clarifications, I am very new in the server environment, my terminologies may not be within the norms.

Thanks in advance!

Henry
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Henry, sorry to hear you're having problems.

Perhaps the first thing we need to clear up is why you can't find the folder. So, please issue the following command and send me the output in your next post:

ls -l /media
What is the name of the folder you're trying to share?

Thanks.

Ian.
Henry Manila

Post by Henry Manila »

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your quick response!

I am about half way around the world from where you are as I am in Manila, Philippines and as of this writing I do not have remote access to this server from home and it is already night time here :). I was also browsing through the forums for a possible "fix" (if it really is a problem) to access my server remotely - I seem to only be able to access it if I am inside the (my office router) network - though right now sharing the folders is of the highest priority.

I will send you the output by late evening - your time and by no means rushing you :). I named the folder SharedF and followed the instructions to create a folder in /home/myusername from putty.

I plan to create more folders so resolving this would be awesome!

Thanks again!

Henry
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Henry,

Thanks. If you created a folder called SharedF inside /home/myusername then that command you quoted in your first post should be as follows:

sudo chmod -R o+w /home/myusername/SharedF
However, if you're wanting to share "home folders" then the procedure is slightly different to what I've documented in my guides. So, in Webmin go into Servers -> Samba Windows File Sharing. Then click on "Edit Config File". Then scroll down until you see the following:

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

# Un-comment the following (and tweak the other settings below to suit)
# to enable the default home directory shares.  This will share each
# user's home directory as \\server\username
;[homes]
;   comment = Home Directories
;   browseable = no

# By default, the home directories are exported read-only. Change the
# next parameter to 'no' if you want to be able to write to them.
;   read only = yes
Change it to read as follows:

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

# Un-comment the following (and tweak the other settings below to suit)
# to enable the default home directory shares.  This will share each
# user's home directory as \\server\username
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = yes

# By default, the home directories are exported read-only. Change the
# next parameter to 'no' if you want to be able to write to them.
read only = no
Then click the Save button and it'll take you back to the previous screen. Then click the "Restart Samba Servers" option at the bottom of the screen or restart your server.

Let us know how you get on :thumbup:

Ian.
Henry Manila

Post by Henry Manila »

Hello Ian,

I tried everything you mentioned and that did the job! Thanks a million!

Everything works great now :)

Regards

Henry