Huge mediatomb.log file

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
mpompey

Huge mediatomb.log file

Post by mpompey »

First let me start off by say how much I love the site. I've built my linux media/torrent server and love it. Thank you for taking the time Ian to document your hard work.

I recently ran into an issue where Mediatomb is creating this insanely large log file that is taking up my entire hard disk partition. I've tried deleting it, uninstalling mediatomb and reinstalling it, to no avail.

Has anybody run into anything like this before? Is there a way I can tell mediatomb not to create this log file? I've searched the mediatomb site for info and there is no mention of it there. I have seen a couple of other posts similar to my issue on a couple of other message boards but no data as to how to resolve it.
Ian

Re: Huge mediatomb.log file

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

I don't use this particular software myself so cannot share my experiences I'm afraid. All I managed to find looking on Google was references to a bug causing the huge log file to be created. The "solution" was to upgrade the software to a later version.

I'm guessing you've already tried that?

As a Plan B, and assuming you've installed Webmin, you could go into System -> Log File Rotation in Webmin and configure it to delete the log regularly? It's not an ideal solution I admit but it might get you out of a hole.

Ian.
mpompey

Post by mpompey »

What do you use as a upnp media server nowadays?

In the meantime I logged the bug with the Ubuntu group and check the mediatomb wiki. Apparently there hasn't been any development
for the mediatomb server for quite awhile. It looks like the team is currently swamped with "real job" stuff and hasn't been able to
devote anytime to the project in awhile.

I had a license for Twonky and threw their Linux version on the server and it is taking care of things for now. But it looks like the Twonky version
is being deprecated in 2013. Not as good as their Windows version, it had trouble transcoding to my wife's ipad.

My next try will be Fuppes. If that doesn't work I may just have to run Tversity on the Windows Itunes VM and call it a day.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I don't have need for a UPnP media server anymore (I thought I'd actually removed that guide from my site but obviously I haven't :oops: ) and just use SAMBA/NFS.

Have you looked at PS3 MediaServer. That seems to get good reviews.

Ian.
mpompey

Post by mpompey »

No, I haven't checked out PS3 Media Server thoroughly yet. I'll give it another look.

Twonky for Linux feels like a mediocre offering and a placeholder from Twonky. I run WDTV
Llive HD as my media box in my living room and it seems like it needs transcoding help playing some file formats
I created (.avis) before I started ripping my collection into mp4s.

Thanks for the feedback, still loving the site!