Login problems Webmin

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
panner

Login problems Webmin

Post by panner »

Hi All,
This is my first post so be gentle!
I'm a Linux n00b who after reading the ,excellent, howto set up ubuntu server went for it, carefully following the detail given.
I've installed 12.04 LTS set up, PuTTY ok, VNC ok, but stuck at Webmin. I've installed, I think ok but am unable to logon via my browser (Chrome)

Any one able to help, pleaseeeeeeeee.

Geoff
Ian

Re: Login problems Webmin

Post by Ian »

Hi Geoff and welcome to the forums :thumbup:

Even if you weren't a noob you'd still be treated gently. This forum doesn't tend to attract the sort of person who tries to out-do fellow members at every opportunity. Thankfully. :roll:

Before I ask you lots of questions, perhaps you could have a quick read through this thread. Does it help at all? If not, please tell us what happens when you try and access Webmin in your browser (do you get the login screen or does your browser think the page doesn't exist?) and we'll take it from there. :thumbup:

Ian.
panner

Post by panner »

Ian,
Had a look at the link and things seem to be as expected.
I get the login but Webmin won't accept either the username, root, or password!

Geoff
Ian

Post by Ian »

Did you run this command?

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/share/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root YourNewPassword
Once you have then you should be able to log into Webmin using root for the username and YourNewPassword for the password.

Do you get an error message when you try those credentials? I used to be able to use Webmin without issue on Chrome (but don't use Chrome anymore) so I don't think it's a problem with Chrome, but do you per chance have a different browser you can try?

Ian.
panner

Post by panner »

Ian,
Ran command,ok.
Tried again in Chrome, failed login!
Tried in Firefox, failed login!
Note that in Chrome from address https://server1:10000 it cancels Https and returns address server1.local:10000 then login fails.

Geoff
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Geoff,

Just to double-check, you should get a certificate warning when you try and access Webmin for the first time in your browser. Did you see that message? If so, did you tell your browser to accept the certificate?

Ian.
panner

Post by panner »

Ian hi,
Yes got the warning message and selected 'proceed anyway'.

This morning I've cleared the history out of Chrome, tried again, got warning message, selected 'proceed anyway', login failed!

I then went back to Ubuntu Server and issued your 'sudo /usr/share/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root YourNewPassword' command.
Back to Chrome tried to login, failed!
Re Read your instructions and realised I had not changed the last part, so tried to login with YourNewPassward, and 'voila' in we go. Then went back and re issued command this time changing the last part for MY password and all is well. A real n00b's process, but a good learn.

Thanks very much for your help. It's good to know that people such as yourself are willing to give time to help others such as myself, for which I'm very grateful. I'm looking forward to progressing with Ubuntu Server and setting it up as I require. I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the near future.
Buy the way your Artical ' How to build a Server' is brilliant.

Geoff
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Geoff,

Glad you got it sorted, not least because I was almost out of ideas as to what your problem could be. :crazy:

Thanks for your kind words about my guides. There's plenty more work still to do on them but I'm glad you're finding them useful.

Ian.