Windows Share

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
panner

Windows Share

Post by panner »

Hi All
I've had my server up and running now for a couple of months. It's working well on the main task of seeding via Deluge. I've also set up drives sharing with my Windows 7 Desktop (although the server is not recognised on the Network until I input its name via windows explorer (\\server1) !!)

I've now hit a problem which hopefully someone can help me with. I'm looking to set up rsync to replicate drives from my windows 7 desktop to the server. However using grsync I'm unable to find my windows 7 drives!

Do I need to mount the windows drives or am I missing something in the basic set up?

Any guidance appreciated. (Still learning, very sloooooowly)
Ian

Re: Windows Share

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

Re your first problem (having to input the share manually) is this because your W7 machine and your server are in different workgroups?

Re your grsync problem, I've never tried this so this is a pure guess, but the first thing I'd do is check you don't have a firewall on your W7 machine which is blocking access. Secondly have you "shared" your W7 drives? By default sharing is disabled.

If you need help with either of the above just shout!

I'm a big fan of syncback (the free version is plenty good enough for most people) to backup my windows machines. It runs from the desktop rather than the server but it gives info of what has changed and needs backing up etc. Just a thought.

Best of luck and let me know how you get on :thumbup:

Ian.